i don't understand what i need to download, can you help me, please?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ice60, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi, i have access to a DVD rewriter and i have found another Linux live CD download i'd really like to try out. the browser i am using is not mine and i think the font on the Linux site is odd, or i just don't have the correct font installed. as a result i am having trouble reading the site. i don't have my glasses with me too, i left them at home :(

if it's an easy read, can someone show me what i need to download to install on a CD to run the live distro? i think it's two downloads, but i'm not 100% sure, i have spent a fair bit of time at the site today. here is a screenshot of the way the site looks for me :'( thank you

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/download/downpage.htm

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4700/screenshot0zg.th.png

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

just download the image file (has an ISO extension) then use a burnign program like nero to burn the image to CD/DVD.

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi, WSFuser. thanks, i have wanted so much to try Linux. i have just found a copy of Knoppix on a CD i just bought today. i have found "Ahead Nero" on this PC and i'm going to burn the Knoppix image. it is asking what speed i should use. here is a picture of it. which speed should i use? thank you.

http://img270.imageshack.us/img270/1310/nero0ke.th.png

4. WSFuser

u should be fine with the highest speed of 40x. good luck with knoppix and let me know how it goes.

5. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks, WSFuser. i have just realised i have 3/4 other linux programs on a few magazine covers i got for when i came here for my holiday and help run family business. i even have smoothwall, so if i can take a computer on the train home with me i'll do that. thanks for your help. i hope i can get the BIOS to boot from the CD. it's different to what i have seen at home and school :(

6. ice60

ice60 Guest

this is really fun. well, it will be one day when i go around to someone's house and see them running Linux. until then, i suppose, i can go to google image and have alook there to see what it looks like.

when i go into the BIOS and change the settings on my PC, and all the others i have used, i am pretty sure i use the page up/down keys.

this PC has Phoenix Award BIOS which i know is very common. in the instructions it says to use the -/+ key to change the settings. where is that key?

at the moment the HHD is set as Primary master
    there are two CD drivers and they are something like 3rd and 4th in the boot order, if i could find the -/+ button it would be easy to change the settings, but i don't know where it is. can you show me please?

7. WSFuser

have u tried teh - and + keys in the keypad on ur keybaord?

8. ice60

ice60 Guest

yeah, i tried them on the keypad and with shift key pressed with the buttons below the function keys on UK keyboard these are the keypad ones + - and this is with the shift key and other keys + -

9. WSFuser

was numlock on? or maybe its the pageup and pagedown button, i dont remeber too well since both my PCs have award bios.

10. dog

dog Guest

Ice rather the changing the boot sequence in the bios ... Tap F12 during boot, and select to boot in that instance off the IDE drive. ;)

11. icenii60

icenii60 Guest

I DID IT YYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH Wow i really like it. it was knoppix. i also have on other CDs that i can burn Debian, Gentoo and two Linspire Lives :D what i did was manage to disable the Primary Master.

But, i couldn't get on the internet :( this PC has dialup, i went to the HD partition on the desktop and found windows but couldn't launch the modem. do you know how to do it? also, i noticed the FW wasn't on by default.

i'm going to try the others tomorrow, i have to get up and work in 2 1/2 hours :D i hope the Linspire Live is just that, and doesn't need to be burned?

but, the biggest thing i'd like to find out about is how to get internet access with this dialup. i have dialup at home too, but it's 2,2Mbps (does that sound correct?) it's very fast for dialup. i think i heard LWM say he has the same, POP i think it is. so, can i get on the internet with any of these Linux distros?

i really like Linux :) thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.