I don't Understand Linux drivers?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve1209, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi All,

I don't fully understand when people say the Linux drivers are back dated & the cause for a failure during recovery, can someone please help me understand? I have Acronis TI 10 home, I have created a Acronis Recovery CD. So these are my findings & questions:

1. Acronis TI10 Home works perfectly for me on my current system, a Dell8400, I can back-up to a WD 250GB USB harddrive and have several times successfully recovered from the back-up using the Acronis CD.

2. I'm thinking of getting a new system, with Core 2 Dual processor (FAST like 2.6+GHz) & Windows Vista Home Premium. Where are the Linux Drivers a problem? Is it at the Acronis Software Level or at the PC level? Can I download new drivers or is it that Acronis LAGS on processor support VIA Linux?

The Core 2 Dual processor is a QX6700, if that makes a difference?

Thanks for any INFO,

Steve

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The Linux driver problem arises mostly with new versions of hardware that require some property that is not found in the driver that Acronis puts on the CD that gets loaded for that particular piece of hardware. Older, less popular, pieces of hardware can suffer as well since the best or maybe even any driver is not present.

You cannot add or modify the drivers on the boot CD. If you need a different CD content then Acronis has to provide it.

I'll leave it to the Linux wizards to explain why this is such a problem with TI since the Linux people would have you believe that it is the only way to go.

There is a workaround if you can't get the TI boot CD to work with your hardware and that is to create a BartPE CD which is a Windows environment that uses Windows drivers and you can add the needed drivers for mass storage and network.

TI provides a BartPE plugin and Mustang has done work with BartPE as well. If you aren't familiar with it have a look at:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162424

3. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi Seekforever,

Thanks for the explanation, so the work-a-round for out dated Linux drivers in Acronis is the BartPE CD with the TI Plugin. When I order my new system, I'll create a BartPE CD with the plugin!

Thanks so much for clearing up where the outdated Linux drivers exist, it's actually in TI10.4871 with NEW chipsets, drives OR outdated chipsets. drives no longer supported.

Steve

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve1209,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. However, it could be possible that drives for the particular hardware are not included into the current version of Acronis True Image (for example, if the vendor does not provide open source drivers). As seekforever mentioned in this case a possible workaround is to use a BartPE-based bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE. It allows you to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment and load the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

Please also be aware that we have not heard about any problems with this type of motherboard and Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. Also Acronis True Image 10.0 Home fully support SATA hard drives. Should you experience a problem with your system when accessing from rescue mode, please submit a request for technical support. Attach Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) (check Acronis Help Post about how to create the reports). We will help you solve the problem.

Would also like to notice that the new build of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home was released recently. We would recommend that you download and install latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. It is also recommended to create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media using the latest build, because each new build contains certain fixes and brings such improvements as better hardware support etc.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.