I dont think I am Frame Enabled. What does that mean anyways?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi,

I always get told my browser is not frame enabled. How much does it cost to buy a frame? What are the benefits of ownership? Can i "easily be able to fulfill all my household duties..."

Or, could i go the rest of my life not knowing what it means and still be a heathy well rounded computer user?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't know which browser you are useing but the info at the link has some info that might be of interest.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html

3. HandsOff

Thank you i will check it out! My browser is: "internet explorer 6 sp1 something something 2800"

i have heard there are some security concerns with IE6, and I now know that M.S. is spying on me.

As i started to download the lastest version a message pops up and says:

"Please wait while we examine your system."

I mean...they are that forward about it!!!

- HandsOff

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

If you're referring to the Windows Update site, that's perfectly formal -- it's scanning to see what updates you already have so it can let you know what's still needed or recommended. MUCH simpler than providing you with their whole "library" and making you sort out for yourself what you need.

And if it's some other download somewhere else, quite a few of the better ones will check that you meet system requirements for the program first, and let you know where you're "short", so you don't waste time trying to download and install if it probably won't work (or at least not properly) for you.

Best,
    Mike

5. HandsOff

well, the fact is, i am sort of a modified minimalist, meaning, i try to go without all the unnecessary junk that the world tries to force on my computer, only, ...IT DOESNT WORK!

if i don't accept cookies, then many sites don't work...i cant even view my email without having flash installed because the ISP has it set up to draw the button i have to push for mail. i try JAVA, but then every web page i goes to looks like an abandoned Mercedes Benze after being carjacked and stripped of all its parts.

I tried turning off active x, only in the past i have used alot on online security checking programs. It feels slightly silly to give up control of my computer to check that i am realling in control of my computer, but as silly as it sounds to others i have found not one, but over a dozen security problems by doing just that.

You right it was microsoft web update from where i downloaded the update. Their automated system is very easy to use. Only...it has that subtle feel about it makes me wary. the feel i get when i am being pressured by a salesman to do something against my better, though far from good, judgement...

now this frame issue...it has bothered me for years because i dont know what it is, but just assumed it was something i didn't need. some glitzy resource pig that slows down the computer and distracts the user from his orriginal intent. (mind you this is just an assumption...see how i am?)

anyway THIS IS ALL WILDER'S FAULT!!!

i was content to live in ignorant bliss until i read on their intro to their BBS:

"...we have decided to go frameless"

Like I should know what that means? Like the whole world knows what that means. Like i am the only person on the face of this planet that still has no idea what that means?1? Well, Mr. Wilder, I am going to find out, so just keep on talking about it. No more puzzled looks from over here! Good day!

HandOff

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I love the way you've phrased this, to make it both interesting and amusing. :D

Well, I guess you are talking about this page, where it says: "We decided to "unframe" our forums."

http://www.wilders.org/links.htm

Once upon a time... This forum used to be displayed in that large white section on that page below the banner section (where the orange word "forum" is) and to the right of the link panel.

The forum was "in that frame" on that page. It would have looked a little something like the image below, which is just a mock-up because I wasn't even here when the forum was "framed" at www.wilders.org

Being in that frame was obviously space constraining to say the least. Being out here with no frame around the forum gives a lot more room to "see the forum" in my opinion.

In any case, this is what it means to be frameless here. ;)

- As you can tell by what this image does to the width of this thread, a lot of space can be wasted by being framed like that. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. HandsOff

Well, it is sort of a relief to finally know.

I think perhaps my instincts, and wilder's were correct. I sort of feel that a format like frames sort of takes control away from the end user. Makes him like one of the heard being driven through box canyon or something. I mean, even if the intent is good, i prefer then non-frame way.

"if there is only one choice, you have no choice"

8. bigc73542

LWM I may have found the lost puppy :D

Attached Files:

• sp9.jpg
      sp9.jpg
      File size:
      10 KB
      Views:
  9. LowWaterMark

While a very cute puppy you've found there, alas Yella will notice that it is clearly not Pixel Pup. :(

Snap and I are very frantic and poor Yella is crying his eyes out. :'(

Truly, I think someone took our pup. But I can't imagine who! :mad:

Here's what he looked like at Christmas time...

Attached Files:

10. LowWaterMark

Yella drew this poster which we've been putting up all over the forum.... but sadly, no one has reported anything yet. :'(

Attached Files:

11. bigc73542

I shall forge on with my search for pixel pup ;)

12. NewGuy

NewGuy Registered Member

Forge This!!! :mad:

13. LowWaterMark

Hey wait!!!!!!

That looks like a clue!!! :eek:

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

o_O
    Hey! I think NewGuy is stealing puppies to make up for lost karma!

15. bigc73542

I have been looking all over the forum ckecking the members list and retired list. If possible I will find pixel pup. Or the perpatrator.

16. bigc73542

I have a suspect but no proof but I will keep looking. ;)

17. LowWaterMark

::sniff:: ::sniff::

Let us know what you find. Any news will be helpful! :doubt:

:D

18. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

:oops: It's not too cold outside tonight....*snif*...the weather forecast is usually always wayyyy off....(hands LWM coat and scarf) I am SURE they made a mistake saying it was -20 below. :eek:

Just once more around the neighbour forums pweeeze :'( I just KNOW poor Pixel Pup is out there shivering in the cold, maybe even in some dark lonely back room.

(makes up more posters)

19. HandsOff

You are starting to make me sad!

Attached Files:

20. bigc73542

That is definately one little lost puppy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.