I could not re-store my pc...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I haven't used system restore for about 2 yrs. ...but just last night I tried to restore my pc to previous date of "ok" condition's of which I thought only system restore could solved the problem. But to my dismay, after reboot, it just says the system restore was incomplete and it suggested to use another restore point. But still the same thing happens, it was unsuccessfull, I couldn't restore my pc.

What is the possible problem why system restore fails? :oops:

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i learned a long time ago not to trust System Restore for any "mission critical" stuff.

restoring an image or using 'snapshot' apps are the way to go, imo...

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Agreed, System Restore is unreliable.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As mentioned System Restore is a tool that is not always reliable (it has improved a bit with Vista and Win7, but then why not use their own in built imaging possibilities?). I also think that in your case not to use it for 2 years is basically asking for troubles.

The best way to use it from experience, is to allow restore points for a month, it is very useful to uninstall completely trial programs, and then after a month you disable it, and re enable it so that you can check its functionality. Reading this forum SR seems to be affected by some defragmenters (boot time types) and some virtualizers (Returnil, and I suspect Shadow Defender in my case has affected my Vista SR).

I occasionally turn it on, but I also have a vast array of backup images for emergencies and what not.

6. culla

culla Registered Member

7. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

If your antivirus has a tamper protection you have to disable it in some programs. If your using Norton NIS or antivirus you have to go into miscellaneous settings and shut off tamper protection before system restore will work.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1. :thumb:

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Generally Windows System Restore gives 10GB of restore space, but with updates and installation of software this is eaten up very quickly,and once the 10GB is reached Windows deletes all the old restore points to make room for new ones. A solution to this is to increase the space Windows Restore uses, As an example 2% of a 500GB hard Drive will give you 10GB so Increase this to maybe 4 or 5% or however much you think you may need, then your restore points should remain intact ;)

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've not used system restore on Win7 more than a few times, but has worked fine.
    On Win XP I don't even think it work half the time :| - I stopped using it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.