I can't override the ESET website block.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by regii, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regii

regii Registered Member

Hello. Recently I've been trying to play this java based game but for some reason smart security is blocking access to the company's service. I have tried disabling each security element of smart security one by one and java still comes up with this error:
    Web page:</strong><br>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://plymouth.seatribe.se/java/salem.jnlp</font><br>
    <font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
    <strong>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp:Description:</strong><br>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Access to the web page was blocked by ESET Smart Security.<br>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.</font></p>

I even tried to kill the egui.exe from the task manager and it was still blocking it. The tech support told me that they are aware that smart security is blocking their services and obviously can't do anything about it.

P.S. I've also tried to add the website to exclusions and disabling web protection in general.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello regii

The site in question, and from your post above I can see that the site is known to contain potentially dangerous content. So Eset is basically just doing its job, protecting your system. Why expose your system for a potential risk , for only playing a game? (You can submit a website to ESET for analysis through this link: How do I submit a virus, website or potential false positive sample to ESET's lab?)

Regards, Janus.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. regii

regii Registered Member

It is not about playing the game. That is the least of my concerns. It is about the software basically telling me what to do. I am the owner of this system and i should be able to install any software that I desire on it. Having an option like that completely taken away from me is not something that i appreciate. The anti-virus system is a preventive measure and I value its opinion however more often than not it has been wrong about these kind of things yet this is the first time ever i have not been allowed to bypass it.
    This seems to be the only software that blocks said site which makes me think that the risk of infection is highly unlikely. Another thing. Paradox Interactive is a renowned company that has existed for over 14 years. I highly doubt that they would sell software that is harmful to their potential customers. That would be an obvious violation of the terms of use to say the least. Lastly Considering how that client has been installed thousands of times if there was any actual threat someone would have noticed by now.
    If there is no way to bypass this block can you at least tell me how to shut the program off entirely without uninstalling it? I would really appreciate that.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It appears that the url in question is no longer blocked.

5. regii

regii Registered Member

Java still experiences the same problem.

http://plymouth.seatribe.se/java/salem.jnlp</font><br>
    <font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
    <strong>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp:Description:</strong><br>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Access to the web page was blocked by ESET Smart Security.<br>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.</font></p>

6. Marcos

Are you using the most current signature database 7676?

7. regii

regii Registered Member

Yes I am.

8. Marcos

Do you connect through a proxy server?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.