I can't get online

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by tenmaz, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenmaz

tenmaz Registered Member

This is my 1st post and I hope I can get some advice ( I am basically a beginner). I cannot open control panel, my computer, my documents, etc or internet explorer to go online. The problem is on a laptop which was using limewire and others. What is the procedure to detect and remove any virus or spyware that is causing this problem. Any specific recomendations will be appreciated. thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

Are there any error messages when trying to open control panel or the others u mentioned?

Are u running any security apps?

snowbound

3. tenmaz

tenmaz Registered Member

I had tried to reply sooner but dont know what happened. any how. There were no error messages. The desktop icons would disappear and reappear after 2-3 seconds. I may have fixed it for now. I ran msconfig, disabled some programs including "system protect" (unkown program), rebooted, then could access control panel and removed several programs including "system protect". I then connected to the internet and warnings popped up re malware and offered all kinds of downloads. I disconnected not knowing what to do and which protection to use. Any advice will be appreciated.

4. Get

Get Guest

5. tenmaz

tenmaz Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I looked at his site and will follow up with the laptop in ?. When I do, should I close all MS and windows warnings and downloads being offered for malware and virus protection? And then go to spywareinfo, or load spybot 1st which I have on another computer.

6. Get

Get Guest

My recommendation is not to connect to the internet with the infected laptop, but with another computer. Download hijackthis, ewido, ad-aware and spybot, burn it to cd, put it on the infected laptop, make a hijackthislog, put that on a floppy and from there to the clean computer and then post that in your first post at SWI with the description of the problem. From there they will tell you what's best. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2006
  7. tenmaz

tenmaz Registered Member

Thanks again for the advice. I would have responded sooner but I had left the thread open and did not see your post until I went back to the main forum page. I'll try your recommendation and see what happens, thankyou!!!

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If you got the SysProtect adware , I think that is usually tied to the Winfixer adware which is commonly referred to as the VUNDO/VIRTUMONDE trojan. I got the "System Protect" files inserted by the trojan earlier this year on my PC. You should follow the previous recommendation about posting what you are experiencing on the help forum. They helped me out in getting rid of the trojan. The trojan has several variants so the method of getting rid of it will vary.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.