i cant download anything

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ad22886, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad22886

ad22886 Registered Member

can anybody help me. i usually go to sites and download things for my computer. for example dvd players, cd players, games, virus protection etc. but now i cant download anything. i get a message saying

internet explorer cannot download """"""""""""" from """"""""""

internet explorer was not able to open this internet site, the request site is either unavailable or cannot be found.

can anybody help me please.

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Could be any of the followings:

1.Firewall settings. Shut down firewall and recheck.

2.Modem/ISP configuration. Hardware failure?

3.IE settings. Reload IE. Reset IE's security to DEFAULT. Repair IE. Try another browser like Firefox.

4.Issues with windows (infection, corruption, etc). Run AV scan & spyware.

5.Software conflict. Remove last installed software and/or patch.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi ad22886, welcome to Wilders. Are you getting a connection at all to the internet, or has this been stopped completely?

There are fairly comprehensive cleaning instructions here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662 including fixing Winsock which can do what you are seeing.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Beside the fact that whatever site you have gone to, they might not store the files you want to download and they are actually on another server that is down at the moment...

These will apply to you..

An Error Message Occurs If You Click "Save Target As" for a Link
    If you click the Save Target As command on the shortcut menu for a link, you may receive the following error message:
    Internet Explorer cannot download " Filename.ext" from " Servername".
    Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet Site.
    The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try Again.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319032 (i. e. 5. 6. W98/se/ME/NT4/W2000/XP 6/5/2003)

Internet Explorer Cannot Download Office Documents from an IIS Server When Content Expiration Is Set to Expire Immediately
    When you try to download Microsoft Office documents from a server running Internet Information Services (IIS) to a client using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6, you may receive the following error messages:
    Internet Explorer cannot download File.doc from ServerName.
    Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet Site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317208

Error message: "Internet Explorer cannot download a file"

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816868

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812935

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

So if you click on that first link above you will read this..

This error message may occur if a Web page contains a link to a resource that is hosted on another server that requires a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection and client authentication. The error message occurs only if you have not already been authenticated in the current session by the SSL server on which the resource is located. You cannot be successfully authenticated by the SSL server at this point. You must quit Internet Explorer and start it again to gain access to the Web site.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Internet Explorer 6. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    328548 How to Obtain the Latest Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack
    WORKAROUND
    To work around this problem, click the link before you try to save the resource by clicking Save Target As on the context menu for the link. You can save the resource after you are authenticated by the server.
    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. ad22886

hi thanx for your help, i can get connected to the internet i just cant download when im on. ive got a winsockxp fix so ill try that, i have just recently had a vx2 and thats gone (with your help thanx for that) and my computer has been fine up until now.

2.Modem/ISP configuration. Hardware failure?

3.IE settings. Reload IE. Reset IE's security to DEFAULT. Repair IE. Try another browser like Firefox.

4.Issues with windows (infection, corruption, etc). Run AV scan & spyware.

5.Software conflict. Remove last installed software and/or patch.

how do i check them?

7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Failure to download is probably caused by a firewall or a problem with IE's security. Launch IE, go to Internet Options and reset ALL parameters to DEFAULT configuration. Shut down the FW and check to see if you can download stuffs.

If you could download with the Firefox browser, then IE is the problem.

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi -

I get a kick out of saying what goes without saying...

did you power down the cable/dsl modem (by unplugging, not the on/off)? when you plug it back in do the diodes light up, then go into standby?

I don't mean to be insulting, just I don't know if you are an experience user. To the unintitiated, it may only appear you are online because IE has the main pages stored.

...then there's always repair connection

or even removing and reinstalling ISP software...

- Just mentioning the obvious, because (i'll admit it) cutting the cable modem power and powering it back up solved my problem....after about 2 days of troubleshooting!

- HandsOff

9. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

If you are truely making a connection to your ISP and able to browse webpages, I'm sorry to say the WinSock TCP/IP Fix is not going to get you to far. This fix just simply automates the repair in the registry. As long as you already getting an IP, can surf the internet and get on messenger programs, running the fix won't help.

10. ad22886

hi i did use the winsock fix and i didnt work. i tried to go on internet explorer to go on internet options and i couldnt get to it, it says website found waiting for reply i clicked on tools and clicked on internet options and nothing happened, i left it running for an hour and nothing came up. would that be why i cant download anything because my internet explorer is'nt working. please wb

11. ad22886

i remember i messed around with my local settings folder the other day i unticked some of the boxes in the properties i think i unticked the hidden box, would that have messed it up. ive changed it back but i still cant download. when i try and use disk cleanup in the system tools it wont let me delete the temporary internet files either for some reason.

12. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

If you cannot go to Tools\Internet Options and reset the Security, Privacy, and Advanced tabs to DEFAULT, then you need to repair IE.

Upgrade to the latest version of IE. If you are already current, then go to add/remove and remover IE. There will be a popup asking if you want to repair IE. Do so and reboot. Go back to Intenet Options and reset those tabs to DEFAULT. Also clean out the TEMP and HISTORY folders.

Still no go? Try Firefox. If you can download with FF, then you may have to repair/reload windows.

13. ad22886

hi thanx for your help. i can download with firefox, but there are some webstes that i cant get to with firefox (it just says website found waiting for reply and i leave it for about half n hour and i still dont get the website i want).
    ive noticed that im not getting any adware or spyware (which is unusual because i usually have at least 10 adware to get rid off everytime i go on the internet). is there anything else i can try?

please wb

14. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

I didn't have time to read the whole thread..
    But I would run ad aware on my computer..

I'm pretty sure you should find some unwanted friends... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.