I can truely call myself a Linux Geek!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Beavenburt, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I don't quite know how I did it but I managed to install Arch this evening. I'm even using the beautiful KDEmod with it. Quite unbelievable for a thicko like me. There was the odd hiccup along the way but I did it. I'm well chuffed with myself I must say.
    Not earth shattering news for you all I know but I had to let someone know, because my missus certainly won't give a ****! :D

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I know the feeling, my girlfriend just cant bring herself to care. I love arch too. So streamlined and lean! Congrats, it must have been a hard slog especially if you are new to the game

Cheers
    Jeremy

3. Beavenburt

It was a hard slog but worth it. It's given me a real feeling of achievement. I think I may need to get out more!

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Arch is a really nice distro, is a nice way to learn how to manually configure then entire OS and the forums are helpful.

One of the few distros I would be happy to run long term.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Well done: geekdom attained :thumb:
    It's on my list ; cant decide wether to try Slack or Arch first ; degree of dificulty for me ~9.5 even with the 'books'; any clues or do you just want me to suffer a bit...:D

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Congrats! That IS quite an accomplishment... that's one distro that I have not yet mastered myself. I hear when you're done setting up Arch, you have a truly lean and mean system. Sounds pretty cool...

7. Beavenburt

I just followed the beginners WIKI.
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

It somehow all came good. I'm not sure whether it was through more luck than judgement.
    The only real tip I can give based on the problems I had is when editing the config files, use nano and remember it's Ctrl x to save and exit the file. I was totally stumped on how to save the configs because it doesn't actually say in the WIKI.
    Also take your time and follow the WIKI carefully. All should come good.

8. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

was it the x86 or the 64 bit version??anyway congrats that really is an accomplishment

9. Beavenburt

x86 version.

10. Beavenburt

I must say this is one great distro. Pacman is awesome and I love the update system. I've installed just the apps that I want. It gives you a real sense that it's your own system because you choose how to build it and what apps you want. And with KDEmod, beautiful looks aswell. Lots more reading and tweaking to do yet, but so far i'm very impressed. Surely only a matter of time before I break something:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.