I Can See Underbelly Of The Net With SANDBOXIE!!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cortez, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

So basically you're saying to update FF outside the Sandbox?

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

No, I'm saying that's what I do rather than open file paths.

Up to the user to work out which way he prefers.

3. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

XP SP3 is now pre-obsolete given that SBIE renders it so.

Many threads and posts on Wilders ask the ridiculous, i.e.: is XP SP3 ready for prime time?, and similar questions ( is it buggy?, how buggy?, is it buggy with 'this' particular application?, or 'that' particular application?, and for how long should I wait before using it, ect., ect...).

SBIE makes XP immortal--period
    don't worry about XP SP3, or XP SP4 or even updates--SBIE is the fountain of youth for XP and it will be around forever!!! Enjoy,enjoy!!

Then the masked hero (SBIE) rides off into the aurora Borealis sunset in triumph.:D

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yea with SBIE your XP stay young forever !! :D

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you're meaning...o_O

6. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

The comment was in regards to surfing and getting nuked by malware.

With SBIE (and of course good firewall and antivirus/antispy ware) XP has the potential to remain a viable OS well into the future, even after microsoft stops critical updates ect. since SBIE and anti malware applications will essentially plug the holes that microsoft will no longer plug.

I believe that software companies (free or otherwise) will continue to plug XP indefinitely as the demand is very strong to keeping XP alive by very enthusiastic users.

As long as SBIE allows quick recovery from malware havoc, XP could continue indefinitely as long as the internet remains more or less the same.

The post was meant to be a quasi-tongue in-cheek statement as we all know that humans are very resourceful and a vulnerability to SBIE could render it moot (I don' think this will happen for many years to come [if at all]) or if something better comes along.

7. Beto

Beto Registered Member

I am very pleased with XP PRO and it does everything I want it to do and much more. I am sure that SandboxIE will prolong the life of XP PRO---No doubt about it.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My only concern reminds me of my last computer which used Win98. It's still humming away, but as XP came on the scene, there was less and less software still compatible with W98, until now there's just about none. So if you can't buy and upgrade you're almost forced to move up to the new OS.

9. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Registered Member

Wait a minute!

I don't use either Sandboxie or Returnil. I tried Returnil when it was a 'Giveaway of the Day' freebie but am far from impressed.

My experience with it lasted a couple of days and reminded me of the movie 'Ground Hog Day'.

I've never tried Sandboxie. I too surf the web, d/l most anything. My Eset/Nod AV program, Win Patrol, Spywareblaster and Windows XP firewall are pretty much all I use except for weekly cleanups with Spybot.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Re: Wait a minute!

What were your problems with Returnil ?

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Interesting - I too would be interested to know what was wrong with Returnil.
    I use Returnil, Deepfreeze, Shadow Protect on a number of machines just in case anything bad ever did get on - which it hasn't. I tried Sandboxie but couldn't see any "real" additional benefit. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to all those av, patrol, spyware, bot type programs. In the 90's yes with win 98 but not in the Naughties - no way.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I stand in 110% agreement and am pleased to learn more are following suit in spite of recent Vista jumpers.

Security vendors and their new innovations plus improvements are IMHO at an all time apex and still climbing making any patches of M$ (present or future for XP) look like nothing but cheap bandaids.

In fact Safety Vendors are pretty much well far ahead of that curve anyway from even any future exploits that might be devised, theres no question about it.

It's an exciting time to run an XP system, mine happens to be Pro SP2 (Stop!) no more patches period and certainly no SP3, who needs them? The general uneducated public of course who rely mostly on Norton's, McAfee and the usual on-the-shelf security AV's your local Staple's or Wally World peddles. Repair shops need their business and will have them. LoL

Back OT. SandboxIE continues to climb as other popular vendors are doing and keeping pace and i look for this to continue as some or any compromise is discovered then dealt with by tzuk. Same goes for Ilya, Coldmoon, etc and others who have their finger squarely on the pulse of their respective specialized products that have pinned malware writers to the wall where they belong due to such superior defense strategies.

Go SandboxIE!!

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

WOW thats quite a statement,but Easter your always that positive about security and in particular about your own arsenal of goodies,but don't underestimate the other side,these guys are well educated and talented programmers,at least equal to the anti malware writers,i even suppose that there is secretly a mutual respect in each other accomplishments !
    I expect there be will no winner in the end,it will be a continuous ratrace until mankind is declared extinct. amen :D

I'm not at all pessimistic though !

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

completely agree. I wouldn't give up my arsenal of goodies no matter what anyone says. I don't underestimate the other side - it wouldn't be fair to judge anyone with whom I have never had any contact. I like the bit about "secretly a mutual respect" - I've often wondered if in fact they all work in the same office ?

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Huupi

It's really not my arsenal but the chief architects of their respective crafts deserve all the praise, and although i surely din't underestimate the other side's coding skills for exploits and disruption abilities, i'm encouraged more than 3/4ths where things stood just one year ago, and i been in enough black hat and virus sites lurking to read their frustrations. The numbers ARE in the user's favor for a chance because of so many ways security vendors have taken pages straught from malware writers and have managed to turn it around against them more and more as time goes on, of that i have no doubt irregardless of public opinion magazine polls which revel to continue the policy of fear on PC users in an attempt to boost their own sales of propaganda.

The only real threat that remains a constant IMO and close race is with the AV vendors from what i gather, but malware writers are the ones scrambling for a new way in now because there quickly exhausting their alternatives, at least where concerns NT systems IMO.

Judge for yourself, are you better protected today more than you were just a year ago? And how high is that percentage grown from say 2 and 3 years back?

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I've had the same protection for at least the last five years.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Like myself and others were safe surfers, but in my relentless research for new dirty crafts those like myself need to be on special guard against anything new or destructive, RETURNIL is a great buffer for such duties.

And i will in addition also agree that the latest doesn't and always won't equate to be the better then it's predessor, i found that out too many times, one being SSM which i would never thought i would turn from eventually, but did.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Easter,I hope your right in your prediction that the blackhat community is already losing ground and the anti malware vendors are marching on to a complete defeat of their enemies,and then at last we can live in a free,friendly,honest and happy WWW without worries. Easter you are dreamer,it would never happen,it has everything to do ultimatily with our MINDS,our morals,our ethics,which are sadly dominated by greed,anger,stupidity etc.,so these ratrace will never end,by this i mean : exploiting holes>filling holes..................exploiting holes>filling holes,and this will never end.
    And don't forget that ever more people earn their living from this virtual world,growing economical and financial interests in these,no the baddies and the goodies let each other never die,its not in their common interest,so to speak,but afterall i hope your right,must admit against all odds ! ;)

BTW if your prediction comes true then you have to look for another hobby !! lol

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's a very simple method of mathmatics and computer machine coding. Once ALL the ingredients have been identified/inventoried and examined, then it's just a matter of making changes to them, problem enters because Windows NT System is deliberately by design been fashioned to contain entirely way too many files, extensions, supports & functions to adequately address them all in any reasonable amount of earth time, try years.

So untill the core kernel system is gone a complete overhaul like is been tried with Vista, theres always going to be some point of compromise that can be acted on, for good or bad, and we know all too well the bad is relentless in their pursuit of learning new ways to disrupt it's normal functioning and why there is a MONSTER market of security developers be they commercial and independent.

So dream it's not, reality it's also not, at least untill computer engineers at $M one day decide to lock out intrusions and if they did that then a huge world PC security market would go out of business, so you decide the answer.

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

not trying to be philosophical,but for me its all too obvious that money will reign until last of our species vanish.So any mankinds undertaking had/have the color of greediness,should the computerworld any different ? i don't think so.The security part of the cyberworld maintains itself,and have no illusions about that,because anybody participating in there simply get paid,be it the good guy or bad guy,its in all their interest that the War continue to no end.So Easter stop dreaming and realise that there are smart good guys and smart bad guys,but they all love the money !! ;)

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Who's dreaming? Thats an embred fact of our society that drives both these forces, good and bad, and those are the facts.

What you're missing in my comments is that right now the security world is on top of them and now they have to play catchup, thats all, and thats no dream, its a concrete fact as things now stand. LoL

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Easter,i fear that mods will stop this chat,so a last comment.

In your own words you repeat my staments,thats weird :( ,what i try to make clear is that there wil be no winner.

As for the fact that the baddies has to catch for now,its just a snapshot in time,the other day the positions will change,and so the battle continue,i have no illusions about it because competition is ''hardwired'' in mankind !! ;)

23. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I will have to amend the statement that SandboxIE will "supplant" imaging software (to repair malware meltdowns), as maleware meltdowns will not happen often any more. How wrong I was!

If you have kids and grandkids who use SandboxIE, the chances are that they will not familiarize themselves with how to correctly download files and a meltdown due to maleware is inevitable. The partition had to be restored with TI 10. They go on-line sandboxed only when an adult is around, but "complete" supervision is not a reality.

This situation seems to be futile as they admit that some "friends" have it on their laptops!!!

I consider SandboxIE as ordinarily configured, for adults only (I would not know how to configure it for youngsters).

It seems that Pandora's box has been opened and there is no way to keep young ones from the greasy side of the net.

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It should be easier for you to force your browser always sandboxed and close all recovery paths. it can be done from within SBIE control,otherwise edit SBIE.ini.

Much simpler aproach is Returnil , to set it always in shadowmode and hide the icons on the desktop and in systemtray,after the kids leave for mom,then restore it to your preferred setup.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So from i deduce in those statements, which of course are laced with factual regards by the way, kids are in the group of easy malware targets, then come the adults who just can't wait to invite openly a codec to glimpse a still or moving film of the naked human body for gratification, and so on and so forth.

Yeah, the lanes are wide open for those habits i agree and they probably will be the lead recipients of adding new entries to the parent's or their own systems unless of course they choose to shield themselves enough to make it a safer show.

Let's face it, PC Internet users fall into several different categories, it's just that some of us (in these circles anyways) cannot live without real clever challenges as motivation for bragging rights to our respective security-ware, at least that's been my chief purpose as well as passing on my experience and hopefully accurate enough suggestions to the unwary who are simple but unsuspecting of what they might have to cope with one day.

SandboxIE is one in a dozen or more of those nice strategies that can be depended on to if nothing else lessen the potential for a disruption down the road due to a malware attack of some sort that their AS/AV just might not be prepared to capture at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.