I built a PC and...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Haven't installed a FW yet. What ever Windows 7 has is what is enabled and have yet to hear a peep from it. I haven't even tried to open/adjust it either.
    Years and years ago (like eight or more) I used ZoneAlarm, then used Online Armor and Comodo for several years. Lately I've been using PFW on the retired desktop and Comodo on the laptop.
    I am behind a router and thinking of just sticking with Windows. What do you think? Thank you!

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

It seems we are in similar situations. I've used LnS for years, but have become weary that there have been no updates (that and Phantom's set doesn't play nice with KiTTY). I've been looking for something else. The only firewalls that are out now include HIPS components, which isn't something I need with Shadow Defender and SBIE. There are a lot of discussions here about the Windows 7 firewall (see here) and the general recommendation seems to be that it is very good for a pure firewall. But I would couple that with a gui that was mentioned in the thread I linked to.

3. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Why using third-party firewalls when there's already a extremely decent one embedded in Windows (Windows Firewall with Advanced Security) ? If you find it hard to make adequate inbound & outbound rules, you can always try Windows Firewall Notifier (freeware: http://wokhan.online.fr/progs.php?sec=WFN).

4. n8chavez

One thing that I noticed, that I don't like, is that these guis for the windows 7 firewall take up sooo much RAM. Why should I firewall that's built in to the OS require a giu that uses 180 megs of RAM? I understand this is because they (mostly) all use.NET framework. Still...that's insane.

5. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

We live in a strange world :) Can you believe that this PC demo is only 64k in size? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3n3c_8Nn2Y :)

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Wish Shadow Defender works with SSDs, it would be really nice!

Best regards,

KOR!

7. n8chavez

Yes, me too. Luckily, on the rig I just built I chose 2 2tb drives over 1tb drive + SSD. So that's not an issue for me anymore. SSDs are a problem with any light virtuation program.

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

how much security is needed or wanted?
    are stupids at work? or more experienced user(s)?
    in fact a good backup solution is all one need and a box for testing purposes,
    any on-demand can assist.

you can install tons of software but it didnt helped with the latest infections.

behavior blocker? cut mouse cable!
    if you had xp you can drop most experience - win7 is complete different.

every solution is specific - not in general.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Brummelchen member rachet is asking about a firewall.

He is not stupid.

10. n8chavez

Please stick to email support. This is not helpful at all. There's nothing wrong with asking for help and/or suggestions, and a response like "just don't use your pc" is not going to help anyone. Meaningless post.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I absolutely agree. :thumb:

12. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I am now testing my SSD computers with Faronics DeepFreeze and it is working perfectly so far.

Best regards,

KOR!

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ZoneAlarm, Online Armor and Comodo are not only Firewalls, they offer more.
    and read again - i dont wrote hes an idiot - but ratchet didnt mentioned
    if he want to use that pc alone. so he need to tell more about his (and others)
    behavior to get best help.

ZoneAlarm is still designed to fail. and comodo is still no go here (same reasons
    as ever - they dazzle too much.

best way ever is to start with nothing - simple answer for him with present facts.

with my exprience here i can say for me that any new system gets this firewall
    i use now (w7fc). that meets my needs.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You asked if the machine was to be used by stupid people or experienced people.

Why call people stupid?

15. n8chavez

I think we should all restrict further posts to something that will help answer the original question.

That being said, I think there's something that hasn't been considered yet. Yes, you can use the windows 7 firewall without a third party gui. Yes, those guis do use a lot of ram (thank you .NET). But, they add more features than are going to be there without them. Also the windows 7 firewall, third party gui or not, is bound to be more stable than any other firewall since it's built in to the OS itself and uses no external drivers.

16. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Brummelchen is a german and has major issues finding the right synonym. Also, he tries so hard to look smart and knowledgable, which in combination with his language troubles makes all his posts look rather rude.
    Though I don't doubt his good intentions.

17. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

This comment was very funny. :thumb:

18. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well windows firewall is enough

all firewalls are pretty same just extra features make little diffrence but more diffrence

is our surfing habbits thats our best security :)

19. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Once native Windows Firewall lacks outbound protection, I like to use a simple firewall that allows to have outbound control and info.

It's the reason I use:
    - Win XP: Windows 7 Firewall Control Free (Sphinx)
    - Win 7: Windows Firewall Control (Binisoft)

And to avoid .NET'RAM issues I use CleanMem that allows to keep RAM in a clean state; however I noticed that WFC uses too RAM when starts and if their GUI is used; if not, there aren't RAM issues with it in normal running.

I don't use HIPS's based firewall also; using SandboxIE and Toolwiz Time Freeze is being an excellent combination with both Win XP and Win 7. With these app. my system is in a clean state always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.