I am thinking of encrypting my computer

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by caspian, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I really don't know how to go about this yet, but I did encrypt a USB stick and I love it. I do have some questions though.

1. Can I encrypt my hard drive and still use Returnil?

2. Will it slow my computer down?

3. If I encrypt my computer using TrueCrypt, can I still use truecrypt volumes.

4. How does this work when you start your computer? Does it automatically ask for a password?

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Don't know what Returnil is.

Depends on the CPU. If you have an Intel i5/i7, then you have the AES-NI instruction set, which means you will notice zero slowdown. Even without such a CPU, the slowdown will be very marginal.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

3. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

Not sure... Im thinking it may cause some issues but certain about that. You may want to ask in the Returnil section here on Wilders.

No it shouldnt

Yes

Yes. You should definitely read here for more info http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=tutorial

4. I no more

I no more Registered Member

1. I'm 90% sure it will have no effect.

2. If you have a computer built in the last 5 years, the effects should be minimal.

3. Yes.

4. If you use the system encryption feature, then you're encrypting your entire operating system, and you'll get a password prompt when you start your computer.

If you don't use system encryption, then you have to open the TrueCrypt program, select your volume and enter your password.

5. caspian

Thanks to all of the guys above for the feedback. Much appreciated!

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi caspian,

Just be sure you use no less than 256-bit (32 byte) encryption.

-- Tom

7. caspian

Thanks for that buddy.

8. ha14

ha14 Registered Member

The encryption is hardware based (self contained in the drive) and most likely will be unnoticeable to you in terms of performance degradation. These hardware based encryption schemes are pretty quick.

for a tutorial
    http://www.randyjensenonline.com/blog/using-truecrypt-to-encrypt-your-entire-hard-drive

So Returnil will work but you might want to consider also Sandboxie. Sandboxie intercepting those registry entries, and porting them to ram where they disappear upon computer shutdown would be of great interest to TrueCrypt users.

In a sandboxed program you can access a TrueCrypt volume. And you can place the sandbox itself onto a TrueCrypt volume.

9. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

I have used Returnil with encrypted Dekart containers and had no problems at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.