I am liking herd protect more

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by taleblou, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

OH!
    It does not say anything about being in beta on their website, or I can't find anything saying the program is in beta.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

3. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

They changed the real time timeline from Q4 2014 to coming soon :)

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ah, I see. Obviously I missed that when I downloaded HP. :oops:

I see they are planning on releasing "Protection Platform". I wonder if they with still have a non-protection version. I would rather a separate version than having to disable the protection component.

I also see it has on their 'herd of elephants' a Norton / Symantec tick but Symantec isn't one of their 68 scanning engines. I can't count 68 engines in that list either, only 65, but maybe I can't count. A few duplicates too isn't there?

5. atunis5804

atunis5804 Registered Member

HerdProtect seems, in theory, to be a great approach to malware detection; however, if you check out the user rating in Softpedia, it comes in at a mediocre 3 (on a scale of 1-5)....I have used it, but don't like the exceedingly long time it takes to scan my computer. I will monitor this site for new comments, and may reinstall if the software seems to get better ratings from actual users.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

In case you weren't aware: the first scan is supposed to be much slower than subsequent scans.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well the portable version does not work properly, at around mid scan time it notifies an error and closes the application prompting Windows to find a solution (Win eight). The installation version is fine but the FPs that it finds are embarrassing to say the least: Photoshop.exe, jv16pt.exe, (on Win XP) and setupimgburn_2.5.7.0.exe, ubiquity.win8.dll (on Win 8.)

I honestly I'm a bit weary of dealing with false positives.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Portable version works fine. HP rarely gives off false positives, at the least it will leave them unchecked. It's not a tool for neophytes. I've run Herd Protect on at least 900 machines at this point, possibly up to 1,200. It's becoming a primary tool in our MSP remediation circle. Never once had an issue with it.

Imgburn setup contains Conduit, that's not a false positive. If you are using cracked version of Photoshop that's why it's picking that up. I have never seen a photoshop FP with HP, and that's running it with 3-4 different PS versions installed (including CS2).

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well this might be the first time for you then, I have two versions of Photoshop in different computers which I got both from different employers, one is version 7 which is picked as an FP and version CS6 which is not an FP, no cracked versions whatsoever. About jv16pt.exe, I have 2 licenses... I often wish that rather than contradicting people in the name of your formidable certification array, you'd pause a bit and listen to what other people have to say about their experiences.

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I'd say use HP with caution. It's only reporting what all of the AV engines report. We generally pay attention to anything over 3 engines, and 'carefully' examine anything under 3 closer. Often we find threats that skirted under the radar, yet only flagged by 1-2 HP engines.

11. javahole

javahole Registered Member

Dumb questions but...

I went to download HerdProtect earlier, but can someone tell me what the difference is between the Reason Core Security download and HerdProtect?

And Full vs Portable HerdProtect?

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.