I am going back to Nod32 V4, ENOUGH of NOD 5.0.94.0!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Albsterama, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catilley1092

catilley1092 Registered Member

Last month, I bought a 3 user pack of ESET Smart Security 4, that was on sale at Newegg for $29.99. My current subscription to ESET NOD32 AV 5 (upgraded from 4) runs out in February 2012, so I caught a early deal to upgrade, all I need to do is to remove the current, & install & upgrade the new to the current version.

At this time, I'm having no negative issues with the AV, is it the firewall that's problematic? Note that I'm also running (the Pro version of both) MBAM & SAS. They all update at startup, but it only slows me by less than a minute.

I guess what I'm asking, should I keep the one that I bought at the version it's packaged in (Smart Security 4), or upgrade to the new?

EDIT: I also run Raxco's Perfect Speed & Perfect Disk, but not both on the same computer. No compatibility issues to report. Also, I didn't install SP1 on Win 7, it caused me far more problems than it was worth having installed. No wonder Microsoft was telling customers not to let the release of SP1 affect their purchase. Who needs it?

Cat

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. catilley1092

I'll install the trial version of ESET Smart Security 5 on another OS before I upgrade the other. I had this issue with a firewall before. Comodo's firewall slowed my internet speeds badly, I reverted back to the Windows (XP) version, & all was fine again. This was before I upgraded my install of ESET NOD32 AV 4 to 5.

Thanks for your post. I'm glad that you found the solution to your issue.

Cat

3. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Registered Member

Fair enough. Will wait and see where this goes.

VP

4. ljg

ljg Registered Member

So why hasn't 5.95 been officially released? From what I've read, it's still only available by request.

At this point, I'm a bit disappointed with ESET's response time... I've come to expect better.

5. Meethree

Meethree Registered Member

No that doesn't seem like a good idea. I would probably have to say that gamer mode shouldn't auto-enable if you have interactive mode on, because you've already declared you really want to know what is going on with your firewall, what is "phoning home" at all times. You could always manually turn gamer mode on for a temporary respite.

Anyway, my biggest issue is the interactive popups being too slow to pop up. I don't know why that is but if it's not super responsive, it's definitely not an upgrade from v4. My PC is ~2 years old but it's "gaming-grade", fast cpu/memory etc. It's no slouch. I am a power user though and I do run a lot of things.

On the other hand, my room mate uses v5 fine, but he's not in interactive mode and didn't use v4 so his perspective isn't the same as mine at all.

I think Norton starts screaming if something bogs down your PC. Maybe ESET should at the least know if something is bogging itself down (and warn you so you can disable whichever module is doing it) :D

EDIT: I also forgot to mention I got the "Failed to read firewall configuration" popup yesterday at one point. It lists that here for v4, but when I search for that phrase on the kb, I can't even open this beta forum link that seems to mention it ("no access") so I have no idea what the alleged problem or fix is there. I don't know what that error means but it doesn't inspire confidence that I'm protected. That's actually the straw that made me start Googling "eset smart security 5 slow" and actively start considering a downgrade.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hmm how does one get this??

7. ljg

ljg Registered Member

8. zfactor

ahh thanks

9. catilley1092

My current version of ESET NOD32 AV is 5.0.93.0. It was only about a month ago that I updated to that version from 4. Should I stay with what I have, or is the latest version too buggy?

The current version that I have is running fine, plus it expires in February, at that time, I'm installing ESET Smart Security 4, then will upgrade it to whatever the current version is. If the latest version is buggy, I'd prefer to stick with what I have.

The only issue that I have with NOD32 is making that "rescue disc". It said that I needed to install Windows Automated Install Kit, I installed the proper version, and still, I had issues creating the rescue disc, so I said the heck with it. I have plenty of other bootable rescue discs to choose from.

Cat

10. zfactor

if it works fine why change?

11. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I decided to download 5.0.95 and install it as shown on that page. I figured it would not hurt and it might work. Well, it works the same as previous 5.0.x versions. With XP SP3, my USB hard drive that I like to hook up to do an image has to be connected prior to turning on the system in order to prevent a lockup. So, my workaround for this is simply to connect it before turning on, use it to do an image backup, then wait until the system is shut down before disconnecting it. That will work for me. Maybe Eset will someday determine the cause of the USB hard drive issue with Windows XP SP3, but it doesn't matter much to me anymore.

12. Albsterama

Albsterama Registered Member

Guys, don't get me wrong, I downgraded to get back the performance I once relished under V4 as I do not have time to trouble shoot this or that under V5.

I sometimes wish I had time to read up and followup on the new features in V5 but at this time, I will wait for a couple more version upgrades before I consider the next update to V5.

FYI, I run FF with about 25 tabs, Chrome with about 15 tabs with 4Gb mem and I chew up about 3Gb mem on average (according to the resource management usage). And as I said, jumping from one browser to another was a complete "time to make a cup to tea" under V5 but under V4, it's a cinch. Go figure.

To the other poster, apparently my V4 license was already activated but when I tried to enter it into a fresh install of V5, it tried to activate it and would not allow it. Go figure V2.

13. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

When I put 5.0.95 on (I had previously rolled back to 4.2.71.2) at first it did not seem to take the user name and password, though I clicked a couple of times, but later, I saw that it was activated. Maybe there is a glitch of some sort in the activation process that can cause it either to absolutely fail or to temporarily fail, with no error reported. Of course activation requires that the software connect to a server, and it's possible that a server could be temporarily unavailable.

14. Vocalpoint

This is exactly where I am at. I could care less about what 5 offers - but if there is any indicator that it is slower than v4 or uses more resources than v4 - to do exactly what v4 is doing nicely for me now then there is really no point in upgrading.

The singular point of even considering an upgrade for me is "better, faster, lighter" NOT heavier and slower.

VP

15. kjz

kjz Registered Member

I think it's the same problem as with any other new software. With each new release a software piece is more bloated, getting bigger and running slower. And: don't install a new release until (at least) the first service pack or update is available. Just my 2 cents...

16. zfactor

yes PLEASE PLEASE ESET do not go the way of bloat!!! imo they program doesnt need anything extra and all the imo stupid features everyone is not including!! keep it a av and or av/firewall and do not start adding all kinds of junk in!! im fine with v5 and it works well for me. i just hope v6 doesnt get any more bloated.

17. Albsterama

Albsterama Registered Member

The only perceivable improvement that I miss from V5 is that timer on the disable anti-virus function. I do liked that V5 would auto re-enable after a set 1hr or 4 hr.

PS So far, V4 is just hunky-dory, I see no slowness at all jumping between FF, Opera and Chrome - all at the same time! Woowee! :thumb:

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In order to troubleshoot the issue we would be really glad if you or somebody else could confirm that disabling real-time protection makes the problem go away. In that case, you could supply us with a Process Monitor log which would shed more light and potentially help us figure out the cause.

19. Vocalpoint

Only problem is that v5 has had a bunch of updates already and none seem to have stemmed the tide of ongoing problems.

I will be staying with v4 until I see some true positive reports on v5 - especially on resource usage and "slowing down" a previously "not slowed down" computer that was just fine under v4.

VP

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Here comes one positive, I am very satisfied with V5 :thumb:

21. robin58

robin58 Registered Member

Add another vote to V5 being without issues. There are quite a few minor improvements in V5 over V4 I personally like (e.g. the ability to check the latest version without having to come to the Eset site). Also in my experience V5 has had less issues than V4 did when it originally was released. In the beginning of V4 I had to roll back to V3 and V2 on some computers. This time I've had zero issues from day 1 installed on computers running XP (1), Vista (1) and Windows 7 64 Bit (2).

22. Vocalpoint

Excellent. Getting closer then :)

I will probably put v5 on a single machine over the holidays to get it a test run....

VP

23. 22ndcitysaint

22ndcitysaint Registered Member

Another satisfied NOD32 user here. :D

I have not experienced any slowdowns on my PC and on my web browsing. Of all the AV's I have tested (avast, AVIRA, AVG, Kaspersky, MSE, Norton) this is the lightest of them all (CPU, RAM and disk I/O). RAM usage is a bit high but when you look at the total RAM usage, ekrn and egui adds very little to the total mem usage. Although I have to admit, NOD32 isn't the "strongest against malware" out there. :D

System idle, EAV installed = 28% total RAM used
    System idle, NAV installled = 32% total RAM used

So much for Norton's claims that it is the lightest antivirus RAM-wise. LOL

24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

How do you know? Do you have some potentially malicious files not detected by ESET?

25. 22ndcitysaint

22ndcitysaint Registered Member

Yeah, some 0-day malwares from MDL and malc0de. NAV blocked it all, NOD32 let a few slip. Wish ESET had some kind of SONAR protection like Norton does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.