I am getting frequent viruses in my hotmail acct.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Digiti, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digiti

Digiti Registered Member

The last couple of days I have been getting many Netsky virus alerts from Norton when downloading my Hotmail with HotmailPopper. It usually infects the HotmailPopper log file. I have to clear the log manually because Norton can not repair, quarantine, or delete because I assume it is in use? Has anyone else experienced this.

2. controler

controler Guest

For the past couple weeks I was getting hit first on my Yahoo account and then on my real mail account with Netsky. Now I am getting hit in my real mail with
    something new that Panda is not catching. I sent them samples and they just wrote back the files were not infected.

subjet: question
    Body: something is wrong!!!!!
    attachment: wife.zip

subject: is that your wife?
    Body: read the details
    release_wife.doc.scr

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

While I have not experienced this problem (yet), I've always assumed that large companies like Microsoft that host email servers scanned all messages that contain attachments on their servers for viruses. If they don't, why don't they?? o_O Sure makes sense to me. But who am I, a simple housewife...

4. controler

controler Guest

Yahoo scans them when you try to download them but not as they arrive in your mail box.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, controler! Let me make sure I understand what your saying. Yahoo does NOT scan attachments as they are received by the server, but only as a user attempts to download the message to a desktop PC? To me that doesn't seem to be the mosts effecient approach, and here's why I say that.

If someone send a message that contains a virus to 100 recepients, I assume that only ONE copy of that message sits on the email server, with a list of the 100 recipients (Is this correct?). Wouldn't it be more effecient to scan the message ONCE upon arrival to the server, than 100 TIMES when each of the recipient downloads the message? Furthermore, doing it the former way is less likely to delay the delivery of the message to the user (delayed by the time it takes to scan the email message).

6. dread

dread Registered Member

Dont feel bad, I get em to for awhile then they will stop. When it starts I get about 5 emails a day thats infected with netsky and some old trojan that has been revised or something like that and now its bagle to. So when it starts up about 15 or 20 email a day. I just wish there was a way for them to stop getting our email addresses. All of mine has been with my hotmail accounts none so far has been through my yahoo accounts. Hotmail/msn does scan attachments as they come in your inbox but only certain kind of attachments which is dumb to me. Never checked out yahoo scanning policy cuase I hve never had a problem with getting viruses etc.. in yahoo.

7. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I get the same with Hotmail, the most worrying thing was/is that for 2 weeks their McAfee scanner informed me "no virus found", then I received a Hotmail letter offering a deal to upgrade to their virus protection... yeah right!

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.