i am DEVASTATED!!!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by subratam, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subratam

subratam Registered Member

firstly....
    i dunno whats wrong.. and i really dunno.... i am continously being plagued by some problems or other... i have completed my 8th formatting and 2 0-level formatting in last 1 month.... the problem is whenever i am connecting my LAN card hells starting to break lose... and my computer starts getting cracked...
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16932
    and then after that happens... bug reports and then system files requested to change.... my system admin is getting angry too.. coz its too much on his part too .... the solution it seems i just cant use windows in my machine !!!! he is saying as my IP is fixed (cable internet) i have become a specific target ... :'( :'( any way to change IP? you know what happened this time my linux partition also got blasted ...the whole system was crashed i cudnt reinstall lin nor windows unless 0-level hard drive format was done... i was even expecting the ram gone...!!!
    no permanent solution?? or is there any.... i format machine connect LAN.. and the computer starts acting strange ( i connect LAN only after config-ing ZAP, Bitdefender, TDS3... ) i get requests like change EXPLORER.EXE.... and other system files as i just mentioned above ....
    i have to access net from cyber cafe now... :'( :'(... and will sit with my comp after informin yall bout my position...
    am waiting...eagerly waiting

2. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

:( Sorry to hear...sounds very ugly:
    - 'After reading what you've been through, it sounded like that to me, too. And as ugly as it sounds, your ISP does not seem to be helping much (what's up with that?). Ever thought of changing ISP's, as drastic a measure as that is, what with e-mail address changes, billing, etc. - you seem like a good candidate for it.
    - Also, suggest a visit and extended reading here:
    http://www.dshield.org/

- Keep us posted...and hang in there!
    Best regards,

3. Spitnyri

Spitnyri Registered Member

First off.. this is only my opinion.
    Having been through something very similar about 18 months ago I can sympathize with your extreme frustration. First thing is to disconnect your system and do it all one more time from scratch. Stay offline until you do everything here. If you run W2K go to http://www.analogx.com/contents/articles/ipsec.htm and download/install their IPSec templates and set them up, real easy. Then call microsoft, Call (800) 360-7561 and get the CD's for: W2k SP4 (#x09-81296) IE SP1 and the Security toolkit CD(#x08-56282-m) Some are free some you pay freight, this will keep you off the internet while installing the very necessary updates. Then go to http://www.cisecurity.org/ and download their "Benchmark Tool" (a detailed document for setting up all the security in W2K and others). After you do those then go over your pc and make sure you didnt miss anything. : ). First stop on the internet, but not yet, should be the automatic windows update page and dont stop 'till your up to date. Make sure you reset you IP address even if you have to leave your system down 24 hrs. They may using it to follow you around from postings. Next...
    If by chance you have or can get a used but working pentium type pc say a 166mhz or up that will accept 2 nic cards then grab it and do a full cleanup, install two different brand nic cards (easier to select later) and go to http://www.ipcop.org/ and download their version 1.03 burn it to a CD and install it on your older machine. Once complete follw the set up instructions and make the connection to the network on the inboard side and the internet on the outbound side, restart your pc to accept the dhcp settings and then you should be OK. You might want to consider giving up ZAP and using Sygate Pro instead also.
    It took me almost a year to find and learn all this stuff on my own, earthlink, my old ISP refused to help because it wasnt their responsibility, if your isp wont offer a minimum of security advice dump'em. They are a dime a dozen these days. There are good sources of info at CISecurity and NIST for system templates here: http://csrc.nist.gov/ or at the NSA website here: http://www.nsa.gov/snac/index.html they also have security templates "NSA Gold".
    One last thing.. buy or borrow a copy of Disk Image or another software that will make an ISO disk image of your entire HDD and then keep it secure. Write the passwords for login on the disk in case you need to reinstall the entire system you wont have to worry about remembering it. Do the image only after all setups and software installs you consider your basic system are finished. Only after you do all this and make sure your IP is different then connect and go online. Still check your firewall logs daily. IPCop is the best available and its free, it only allows in connections that originate from your pc.. I hope this helps. Break a leg ;)

4. controler

controler Guest

Could be the network card drivers too.
    I had a couple hard drives that did the same thing. They were just plane bad. I would through another cheap drive in and see what happens. with and without the network card.
    Before I did that though,, I would reflash the BIOS with a new freashly downloaded copy. I always reflas the BIOS before reformatting.
    you haven't changed any BIOS setting lately have you?
    If you don't want to flash the BIOS, you can always remove the mobo
    battery and that will reset the BIOS. Make sure you take a peek at the BIOS setting before hand and write them all down.
    Nasties have been known to stay in BIOS, although you don't hear much of that anymore.
    Always try the simple stuff first. ;)

con

5. subratam

firstly....
    I AM MISSING YALL... WILDERS!!!! I AM MISSING...
    man this time i got tremendously hacked or if you may call it ... i am in deep water..... the day i posted my last msg.... and i did say i cant b on my computer i am still not in my computer but in college rite now.. and reporting my latest stage... lemme give what happened till date
    i ran Disk Manager and done 0-level formatting to make sure that anything wrong isnt thr in my HDD... and then ran RHL to chk if thrs any problem with anything else and i saw it was ok... but but...
    i exitted from RHL installation and thinking everything's ok started with win2K installation.. and it all started again
    all was goin smooth until the "save setting" part of installation came when the probz occurred it said that some file missing some file cant be copied some corrupted..
    i formatted again and reinstalled and then started "blue screens" whatever i do and start afresh the blue screen says "KERNEL_INPAGE_STACK" errors with mem addresses...
    i opened my HDD and sent it for chking and i got report that its fine.. and now all i think and so all says that my RAM mayb gone...
    i was going through spitnryi aplus controler and thx to all... now i want something to say.. i will be starting afresh just as new bought comp.. i will be gettin my new RAM with formatted HDD...
    so.. what yall say is happening... what has happened.. and also what can i do to prevent this to happen anymore...
    p4 2.4Ghz
    256mb DDR ram
    40 GB HDD
    Intel Original MB
    Lan Card
    (my cable net provider says the network has been secured to date saying none can see anyother in the network anymore and we are in pvt network so no way to get access to our comps.. and so i can see that others are also accessing net dunno they are having so much probz or not ... or is thr only probz with my RAM... )
    only i bliv in WILDERS... i am waiting... will account on any advice ...

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hey subratam,

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. :doubt:

Looking at the different things you've posted since you started here, I'm thinking that this probably isn't a hacked system type problem. It really sounds more like a hardware issue to me.

Full disk wiping, reformatting and fresh OS installs usually take care of most malware infections. Yes, there is the odd BIOS attack, but for the most part those are not quite that common these days. Since you seem to have healthy computing practices in general, I'd have to think this wasn't malware induced.

But, maybe others will have more ideas on this.

7. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Sounds like a hardware issue to me (possibly a failing HD or scrambled BIOS)

Have a look here
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315266

and

http://www.newbie.org/help/messages/8409.html

Keep us posted!

Regards,
    bill

8. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey subratam

Recently I fixed a persons computer with similar symptoms.
    Procedures I taking was
    * Chkdsk (Determine if HDD was failing, which it wasn’t)
    * RAM-Check (Ended up being BAD RAM)

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I'm in agreement with the majority here.

If your hdd checks out, I would definitely check the RAM next.

The only thing I don't agree with is flashing your BIOS. If you haven't modified it recently, and things were working--IMO, leave it alone.

Changing your existing BIOS settings by entering Setup and making changes is not the same as flashing your BIOS. Wanted to make that distinction, because sometimes there's confusion on that issue. ;)

Other things to verify/check:

IDE cable. Connections to the motherboard, etc.

If you have more than one stick of RAM, you might pull one and see if you get a normal boot. Then try the other. Might find the problem right there.

Good luck!

:)

10. subratam

i got HDD chked and ya it was ok as one of my frnd did try it with his pc and got xp and 2k and linux installed in it in pretty good times too... and as i was thinkin its nothing with HDD....
    now what i did yesternite was i got one ram from my frnd and tried to get it working..maybe it din match with my pc config but still... i got my HDD back today and did a last try... formatted it was tried to install win98 hmm... man the same probz of fatal exception errors files cannot be copied like instadlll, regsvr etc....
    and once it came i kno i have to start again afresh as i had been doing... so.. its RAM.... now its for sure i think.... i hav 256 DDR RAM .. some says its error prone and it doz get wrong after sometime... i dunno how much tru is that or not.... anyway i will try to do it with changed ram and i think i will have it all fixed then.
    as usual thanx wilders for all the support u have been givin me...
    i am in college still :(

11. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Did it work with the new/different ram?
    Does your MoBo support DDR Ram? Did it already have DDR Ram...or SD Ram?
    Did you do an FDisk on the Hard Drive first before formatting?

Getting off topic....all this talk about PC troubles, my 40gig Quantum bit the dust yesterday....arrrgghhh!

regards,
    bill :)

12. subratam

i will have the msg posted on as usual as i am getting access to net frm almost everywhere... except home at this point... but in coll, frnds i hav net with me... so i will say my latest position to yall frequently... i have sent the ram to the company for replacement and it will b coming soon... ya eyespy i always do fdisk b4 formatting hard disk... and this time plz i need some advice as i am starting afresh what shud i go for as best security softwares to go with ..

13. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello subratam

Proper defences require proper software in place. Suggested is

A good firewall (such as Outpost Firewall)

A good anti-virus programme (such as NOD32)

A good anti-trojan programme (such as TDS)

A good anti-worm programme (such as WormGuard)

A couple of good anti-spy programmes (such as SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard)

A good anti-spy tool (also functions as a browser anti-hijacker program) (such as Spybot S&D)

Some of which you may know already. If you prefer other choices for the programmes then that is fine but the programmes in each categorie do something the others are not designed to do. A great anti-virus programme does not necessarily catch all trojans; a great browser protection programme most likely will not catch worms. A layered protection scheme is best to be as protected as possible. Hopefully this will not bury you in too much information. Should you have any questions or need any kind of help at all you can come here to Wilders and the folks in the know will be happy to help.

Best wishes.

14. subratam

thx qsection,
    though the reply is too late one may say but i was really off the hook these days college pressure, seminars, xams... were just pissing me... i just got time to sit today and nothing but wilders is my list to get noticed and replied first
    qsection thx for ur advices .. and by help of all of ya i kno alomost all these more or less nou :)
    and the rest that i dunno thats where is wilders and all ya to help me
    will get yall noticed ...soon..
    my RAM is not yet given as replacement by the company :mad: disgusting... once i get it all ok will tell ya...

15. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

If you suspect it is your RAM, you may want to try a program like http://www.memtest86.com/ .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.