I am CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by pidge, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pidge

pidge Registered Member

Greetings everybody! i am a "newbie" and i have been trying some of javacool's software for a couple of days. i have a few questions that i want to ask and i appreciate any response.

1. i was trying to download updates for spywareblaster and spywareguard and there is a message that says there was an error downloading the update. it says that the server might be temporarily unavailable and it may also be caused by my firewall (i have the default win XP firewall). also says the data might be corrupted during the update.

2. everytime i log in to the internet, my local weather info on my toast.net homepage gets reset. i have to personalize it again (zip code etc.) only to reset when i go online the next time. does this have something to do with mru-blaster, spywareguard, spywareblaster or spybot s & d? on the cookie blaster (mru blaster) i have the cookie for accuweather ignored. i hope anyone can help fixing this inconvinience.

thank you!

pidge

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

First of all, welcome to Wilders and thanks for stopping by!

Now...Hmm # 1 I'm no help with; but I have an idea for #2.

Certainly Spybot S&D is not at fault.

I would also assume that Spywareblaster is not at fault either as it blocks installation of javascipt...

What it really sounds like to me is the cookie being reset; perhaps your browser is set to clear temporary internet files when it is closed? In that case, the cookie ll be deleted even though your cookie blaster was ignoring it. I have my browser set that way and so every time I close it all that stuff goes away.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon :cool:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi pidge,

I assume you are the person that wrote this other thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15714

If not, it is very similar... Detox is probably right that the root cause is that the cookie is being removed (cleaned) or blocked in some other way. Of the products listed, MRU Blaster is the most likely one to be involved. So, try disabling MRU Blaster's cleaning altogether, and see if signing on and off, and back on again preserves your custom weather selection. If so, then at least you've narrow the problem down, and then we can try to resolve it from there.

As to the problem downloading the updates... Some people do have this problem and sometimes can't get around it for SpywareGuard, however SpywareBlaster has alternate download settings you can try which may work for you.

In SpywareBlaster, press the Settings button, then check the box that says "Use Alternative Download Method", then hit "Save Settings" and then the popup OK button. (See image).

Try that and see if it let's you download SpywareBlaster updates. Notice also there are three options above that. If this does not work, uncheck it and then try each of the three options above, one at a time, doing the same sequence described above to save the settings. Let us know if this works or not.

Attached Files:

4. pidge

pidge Registered Member

Thank you for your replies! Here is what happened:

1. with regards to my local weather settings, i uninstalled MRU-Blaster and logged on and off the internet every few hours and there was no more problems as the weather info is now there. so i guess we know the culprit. if anyone knows the exact setting i should tinker with in the MRU-B so i could prevent this problem with MRU-B installed please let me know.

2. as for the updates, i tried LWM's remedy of ticking "alternative download method" but it didnt work so i ticked "direct connection to internet" and it seems to work (result: no update available). Thanks LWM for that one. But alas when it came to spywareguard, still cannot update and same messages. i'll try again but let me know if you have any ideas.

thank you!

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, I think you can install and use MRU Blaster for its main purpose, the cleaning of all normal MRU's on your system, but just don't activate any cookie related features or cleaners until we hear from Javacool (or someone else that knows) why excluding that one cookie didn't prevent the loss of its saved info.

I'm glad SpywareBlaster's updater is working for you now. I think Javacool has said that SpywareGuard will be given additional download controls (similar to SpywareBlaster) in a future version. So unless he or someone can advise to of any external adjustments or hacks that will allow SG to update like SB, you may not be able to get automatic updates for it.

Do note that SpywareGuard does not update all that frequently, so you can manually download the updates Javacool releases in order to stay current. See this thread on that:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=14647;start=msg92222#msg92222

You can right click on each file link, do a Save As.. to your disk (be sure the name stays the same as the file name at the end of each link) and then simply move those files to the SpywareGuard folder, overwriting the existing ones.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Per LowWaterMark's instructions, could you please try disabling the Cookie Blaster plug-in in MRU-Blaster? (You should still be able to use the program to clean regular MRUs without a problem). Please let me know if the problems with missing saved cookie info then disappear. Thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.