I am confused about the unchecked RED ENTRIES and other issues help please

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cyborg, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I am not very good when it comes to PC's buy I was advised to have Spybot Search and Destroy and today I was given a link to SpywareBlaster.

I have Norton Antivirus2003, ZoneAlarm(Firewall), Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol installed. I did not switch off ZoneAlarm or Norton when I installed SpywareB;aster so I hope everything will be OK. I never know if to switch these 2 programmes off or not whenever I load a game or software.

When I installed the sofware it said something about a file missing and to click retry which I did and here I am so I assume the Installation went ok.

I have hundreds of Spyware entries already checked and over "200 entries unchecked but highlighted in RED." I have read help and within tools there is a box to check so that these items are not shown. Now if these items can be turned off at the tools section should I be checking them and getting rid of them in the first place. Likewise I have over 100 Red Cookies.

Examples are loads of "KEENVALUE" entries, "SexDialer Dialer" which I assume should not be on my PC? Some entries marked Hijacker etc and so it goes on. Please help me. Do I check them all both Spyware and cookies and getr rid of them?

When I installed Spybot Search and Destroy it just took them out for me.

If I get rid of any of these Red Entries including cookies will my PC stop working or some software or games be affected?

Sorry for the long post but I do worry about PC's and what should be on or not and what I should do to both protect the PC and the users, 2 of which are my children.

I hopw somebody will take the time out to help, Thanks

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Cyborg,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

The list of items you see in SpywareBlaster are not items that will be removed, but the items you will be protected against.

The correct procedure if you don't want to exclude anything is click Select All and the click Protect against checked items.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Pieter

3. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Thanx Pieter for replying.

Why do the Red entries exist in the first place i.e.why are they not isolated like the rest?

If I press "select all" and something goes wrong, if it can go wrong, how would I know which selected file that has been blocked has caused a problem because as I said there are over 200 red entries plus over 100 cookies.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Cyborg,

They all start out as red because there are no protections on any of them on anyone's system until the steps above are done to add the protections. Put it this way, "installing" SpywareBlaster does nothing but put the program on a system. It isn't until the "Select All" and "Protect Against Checked Items!" buttons are used that any protection is enabled.

And everytime you use Check for Updates and download a new update file, there will be new unchecked red items that you'll need to select and protect again.

All the items in SpywareBlaster are confirmed pieces of spyware. If setting the protection on them causes a problem on your system, then that is a sign that spyware was already on it somehow. If something does go wrong, then you can reverse all the protections following these steps:

[​IMG]

These steps remove all SpywareBlaster protections. Your system would be just as it was before SpywareBlaster's protections were ever set. Notice the items went back to unchecked and red again.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm well everytime you update SpywareBlaster the new spyware it can recognize (due to the update) is not blocked until you tell it to. Those will be red until you check them (individually or with "select all") and guard against their installation.

Remember that these are not files on your PC that are being isolated, these are nasty spyware programs/files that SpywareBlaster knows how to block from being downloaded to your system. If you wanted one of those nasties, you could leave it red so that SpywareBlaster would not block its download/installation.

So, when you first install SpywareBlaster, it knows how to block a whole lot of stuff, but it only does it after you tell it to.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

bah LWM beat me by almost a minute *punch punch* :D

7. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Thanx for all this help guys it is really cool. Sorry to appear slightly dumb but all I have done so far is install SpywareBlaster. How does SpywareBlaster pick up the hundreds of files that are already checked and are indicated as black. I have not checked any files myself, these came up checked as I installed the programme. Have these files already been checked as spyware by Spybot Search and Destroy or some other software that SpywareBlaster recognises

I now understand the issue about the files highlighted in red unchecked. Do you guys just use "select all" every time you run the programme i.e. if SpywareBlaster picks them up then they are "bad" thereby assuming they are all bad and should be blocked, including the cookies?

How is it possible to know if a file picked up was required to run a programme or is this not possible? If suddenly something stops working how would I know from the hundreds selected which file blocked needs to be unblocked?

Thanx once again and I must admit the prompt replies just shows how you guys are really into SpywareBlaster and it is really appreciated by new users like me, brilliant.

8. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cyborg,

If you used the immunize function of Spybot S&D or one of the other blocklists that can be found, some of the items would indeed already be black, indicating that protection is already in place.
    SpywareBlaster will not do anything with these.

If you have any problems or you want some piece of spyware to keep working (~shudder~) we will help you to do just that.

If you have any questions, just ask. Always lots of helping hands around here. :)

Regards,

Pieter

9. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Thanx once again Pieter,

I hate Spyware and always thought that SpyBot Search and Destroy would get rid of everything so it is cool I have found SpywareBlaster that shows how many files are on my PC unchecked.

You mentioned if I needed help if I have problems. how then would you know which file it is that causes a programme not to run or should this problem not arise?

I have GameSpy loaded and I know that this contains SpyWare and if I immunize them with Pest Patrol certain areas of GameSpy do not function properly. How do I recognise GameSpy Files within those picked up by SpywareBlaster?

I will shortly be "selecting all" and have prepared a system restore within Windows XP. For example if I now select all will SpyBot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol, ZoneAlarm and Norton still function ok as it did mention during installation that some programmes may be affected by SpywareBlaster. Are there any known commonly used programmes that SpywareBlaster is known to cause problems with?

Once again thanx

10. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cyborg,

I have never found a legitimate program that could not run properly because of SpywareBlaster.
    Gamespy shopuld not be a problem either.

SpywareBlaster does not block that, but LowWaterMark showed you how to remove the protection of SpywareBlaster, just in case anything does not work out the way you had hoped.

In the worst case we will install the program you are having problems with and test ourselves what needs to be uinchecked to make it work properly, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Regards,

Pieter

11. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Wow what can I say guys great support.

Pieter says:- "In the worst case we will install the program you are having problems with and test ourselves what needs to be uinchecked to make it work properly, but I don't think that will be necessary."

Where have you guys been all my life? I have only had a PC for 12 months but the support offered is second to none and I will put the word out within my circle of friends and within my clan how effecient the operation is at SpywareBlaster,

Thanx again

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

(emphasis added)

I want to be sure that you understand SpywareBlaster is not finding these files on your computer, and SpywareBlaster does not clean anything. SpywareBlaster has a list of known "bad stuff" and your checking them off in it's list tells SpywareBlaster to watch for that stuff, and not let it onto your system when it tries to get there. If you've already got that spyware on the system, SpywareBlaster won't clean it, you need Spybot or Ad-Aware to do that.

Maybe you just typed that wrong; but I wanted to be sure you understood the difference in functions between these programs :D

Also, definitely no need to apologize for "sounding dumb," because you don't. It's definitely a lot smarter to ask the questions and learn then to sit and wonder but be too shy to ask ;)

13. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Thanx for taking the time out you guys.

Detox says:- "I want to be sure that you understand SpywareBlaster is not finding these files on your computer, and SpywareBlaster does not clean anything."

I am certain that I understand the above now thanx.

Detox says:- "If you've already got that spyware on the system, SpywareBlaster won't clean it, you need Spybot or Ad-Aware to do that."

I did mention something similar on these lines before. I was greatly surprised at the number of red files, over 200 spyware files and over 100 red cookies located by SpywareBlaster. I have both Spybot Search n Destroy and Ad-Aware on my PC and I updated the files and ran both programmes prior to installing SpywareBlaster. It just goes to show that not all files are picked up by these 2 programmes and now I have the peace of mind that I have some great additional software watching my back and stopping any additional Spyware from getting through which is so cool.

Thanx for the help tonight people I am getting there at last. The only problem I have had so far is in a game called PlanetSide which is played online via Sony Online. When I come out of the game my mouse locks up. Control/Alt/Delete does not work and neither does Alt/Tab to take me back to the desktop. I will contact Sony Tommorrow for some assistance as more than likely it is a bug in the programme or I have messed with the mouse settings in game. I will report back on this issue as I do not believe it to be the fault of SpywareBlaster more than likely Logitech (mouse n keyboard) or Sony Online (Planetside) which is the problem.

I will rest easy knowing you guys are out there, once again thanx for the help.

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Good deal; I just wanted to be sure you had that part down :D

Hmmm games that's my stuff :eek:

Some games just don't let that stuff work. Every game I have I can alt+tab out of, except the new one I got; Call of Duty.

15. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Detox it would appear that the problem I have with PlanetSide is related to ZoneAlarm.

I did a live chat with them last night and they did mention SpywareBlaster but only in the conrext "what spyware an firewall have you got installed. I did tell them but the first port of call was ZoneAlarm.

They asked me to disable it and go into the game and back out which I did and the game was fine. They said preferably when you play PS you should firstly go into START/RUN/MSCONFIG/STARTUP and then select disable all and the game will run without any problems whatsoever. I don't think I will be doing because many programmes are running and I do not know what I need.

So any way SpywareBlaster was not the problem

16. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cyborg,

Let me get this straight. This is an online game we are talking about?
    And they told you to shut everything down? :eek:

What's the name of that game? Sitting duck?

Regards,

Pieter

17. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Yeah Pieter they must know what a noob I am and "Sitting Duck" is a good name for the game :D. This is a massive online game called PlanetSide and the people that told me to shut down everything apart from the game were the guys at Sony Online.

It is frustrating that these people tell their customers such things when they should have sorted out all such problems via the Beta Test. On top of that I have to pay money each month for the privelege of playing the game. This is the first and last time I will buy a game and then have to pay a monthly fee although Middle Earth Online is coming out in 2004 :doubt: . Think I will stick to Battlefield and Americas Army. I was thinking about Call of Duty as the demos rocked. I have read however that the multiplayer is Medal Of Honor with better graphics. Any views on this with Xmas coming up nobody knows what to get me so what is hot and what is not. Must be able to go online and play though. My young son has Worms3D and I cannot get him off the PC now.

I will send a donation because I have never been so well looked after by you guys. I feel part of the group and yet I have only been here for 1 day which says alot about how friendly you guys are, Thanx.

18. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cyborg,

The last game I played was Settlers III :rolleyes: , so I will happily let the real gamers help you with that. You'll have a better chance of getting answers if you start a new topic in Ten Forward for that.

Glad we could be of service,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.