hurry cyberghost VPN premium giveaway is on now

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by taleblou, Oct 8, 2014.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

2. Holysmoke

Holysmoke Registered Member

if this isnt a honeypot what is it? I mean they give away hundreds of thousands of licenses on every site.

3. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

got myself several. do not know what you talk about but its real.

4. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Its real, I grabbed myself a few days ago. If you are paranoid you can use a disposable email.

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I got myself a 6 month license, thanks @taleblou
    unfortunately BBC iPlayer is worthless in HD (keeps stalling), not enough bandwidth it seams,
    in fact even "regular" quality leaves to be desired in the streaming department
    too bad, too bad

update
    after a few tries things improved considerably, even HD will stream properly
    I don't know if it's a different server issue or the hour of the day, but it works

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  6. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Joxx, could be a server issue, I was facing slowdown here too and it seems Switzerland servers are fast enough.

7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

From the URL, it seems that this is actually a PC WELT promotion; that doesn't make it a honeypot :)

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

New VPN services need to add many users quickly in order to provide anonymity through crowding.

9. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Tried it. The client software is a bit elaborate and it took forever to install on my Windows Xp test machine. Once installed, it has a very slick interface wrapped around an OpenVPN TAP connection. It can be used with plain OpenVPN but you have to install the Cyberghost software to get the logon information necessary and then change the device on the Cyberghost client website and download an ovpn file. It was rather slow bandwidth wise. I got a stable 512kbs connection. The bandwidth might be limited on the promo subscriptions. It also uses its own name servers by default and I had to change the network properties on the TAP connection from the Cyberghost DNS servers to DHCP and disable the "force use of Cyberghost DNS" option. While there might be some benefits to using their name servers, a DNS leak test reveals that you are using name servers with Cyberghost domains and are a VPN user. Better than leaking your real IP or ISP's name server but you might not want to reveal that you are connecting from a VPN so easily. Torguard, for example, uses Google name servers and a DNS leak test just turns up several Google name servers that can be used by anybody.

10. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

Don't trust freebies but guess if its the last one on the exit chain ;)

11. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

This is definitely a commercial promo for a paid VPN service. The basic service seems ok to me. The website says the right things regarding logging and privacy policy and perfect forward security. If they actually practice what they say, this is not a bad VPN. They do support router level connections. There is another promo on another site that has their "premium plus" subscription at 75% discount--less the $30 for a year. I wonder if the bandwidth is better with the paid promo.

I should mention that the bundled VPN client can also do some of the blocking that Ghostery does on a browser level. That is probably why they use their own DNS servers. I would recommend to anyone who knows how to do to ditch the custom client software and use the generic OpenVpn software instead. It is much simpler and more flexible once you learn it. Almost all paid VPN services use OpenVPN and most can be configured to use .ovpn files with OpenVPN or with a router like I'm doing. There's something really nice in having software so powerful that is less than a 2mb install file that works in almost any platform and can be set up on a router so you don't even have to mess with client software.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.