Human verification getting annoying

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by djg05, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi djg05,

Originally I experiment with SMH but ended up doing what you are doing. It just wasn't worth the bother, especially since they are not carried over from release to release.

Rich

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd beg to differ - without SMH enabled, many applications with a window (even a hidden one) can be closed, as testing with DiamondCS' own APT tool demonstrates (use Kill 7 or :cool:.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Paranoid,

Most of my important security programs, e.g. KAV, ProcessGuard, Ewido, seem to be self protecting, which are the ones I am primarily concerned about. I am not sure about WormGuard.

Would you say that with this proviso, it is still necessary to use SMH? Thanks for the help.

Rich

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rich, Wormguard does not run as a process but hooks things as they are started, therefore, in this case, SMH should not be necessary. :)

P2K wrote:
    I agree, I use it not just as an extra security measure, I use Kerio 2.1.5 on two PC's and Kerio does not have strong closure protection, I also run it with TDS3 and a few other apps.
    Another useful function of SMH is if you have a program that closes without asking you if you really want to do it, CryptoSuite comes to mind, having SMH enabled always gives an alert so if I was to miss-hit the minimise and hit the X by mistake then I don't close the app in mid-operation.

SMH could be applied to any program you do not want to inadvertantly close :)

HTH Pilli

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks, as always, Pilli. What a great group this is! :)

Rich

6. Paranoid2000

I'd second Pilli's post here. Many programs have separate user interface and service components and it is the UI which needs SMH if you want to avoid it being closed e.g. PG's own ProcGuard can be terminated using APT unless SMH is enabled - closing it does not affect PG's protection elsewhere which is done via DCSUserProt but it does mean no alerts can be given until the GUI is restarted. Similarly with KAV, KAV.exe can be closed easily without SMH, but it is KAVSvc/KAVMM (depending on whether you have Personal or Personal Pro) that provide the virus protection.

Programs that run without a separate service (e.g. Outpost) do require SMH more.

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the additional tips Paranoid. I did set up SMH on my prior version of PG, but I never got around to doing it again. It would be nice if DiamondCS's next version of PG preserves all work that is performed in the prior version.

Rich

8. Paranoid2000

Amen to that. :) Resolving the few outstanding issues with SMH would be high on my wish list for the next version - though with DiamondCS apparently giving TDS-<censored> their top priority, we may have to wait a while...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.