Https sites - blocked prob

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tomboy007, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomboy007

tomboy007 Registered Member

Does Spyware Blaster block access to Https sites? Is there a way to unblock if so?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The Restricted Sites contained in Spywareblasters database that are placed in the appropriate Internet Explorer registry location are listed as URL's only and does not go by protocol....HTTP\HTTPS.

Is there a particular site URL you are having a problem with and if so would mind posting a link to that site Please.

3. tomboy007

Bubba - thanks - but it is ALL https sites - maybe somethnig with my internet connection set up then?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....when you said "block access" earlier....what actually happens when you go to an HTTPS site ?
    Certain aspects of the site are Restricted or you can not even get the page to display ?
    What if any page error messages does it display ?

As this appears not to be a Spywareblaster issue....I am considering moving the whole thread to a more appropriate forum once you have acknowledged this post.

Bubba

5. tomboy007

Also noticed when I try to access https sites via IE that the address given at the bottom of the page is c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm - do I have a virus do you think?

6. tomboy007

You may be right - symptons are - in IE just hangs and attempts to find that Sytem 32 file as shown in last post. IN Mozilla and Yahoo it gives:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.britishairways.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a fewmoments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

With those symtoms including the dnserror.htm error which is usually an indication of a connection issue causes me to ask what ISP are you using....AOL ?

8. tomboy007

No - BT Yahoo Broadband

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since this might even be related to an improper SSL\TSL encryption setting or a needed service in regards to encryption that has been disabled according to the OS you are using....

What IE version and what operating system are you using ?
    If it's Win 2000 or XP....have any services been tweaked lately ?
    Do you recall when this might have started and possibly what software install or system adjustments might have been made just prior to this occurence ?
    If you use a firewall....have you checked that your port 443 is not being blocked ?

Bubba :doubt:

10. tomboy007

IE 6.0.2800...but I can't get to the site with Mozilla or Yahoo Browser either

WIN XP

How can I check if 433 isn't being blocked?

Also I tried system restore but their appear to be no restore points going back in time ( I have had PC over 2 years) - ...I though they were created automatically in the background and I could just pick one and see if that could solve the prob but the Calendar pick list only has today as an option !

Many thanks

11. ski123

ski123 Registered Member

tomboy007,

I see you posted this same problem in the AVG Free Forum.
    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,75109,backpage=2,sv=

These https sites are not being blocked by SpywareBlaster or AVG Free.
    Did you carefully read Bubba's response #9? I think he has your answer.
    Close all internet browser windows.
    Go into your services. (Start > Run. Type in SERVICES.MSC and click OK).
    Ensure that HTTP SSL is NOT set to DISABLED. It isn't necessary to set it to AUTOMATIC. Setting it to MANUAL is good enough.
    Reboot or Restart your computer.
    Try going to the secure website now.

Let us know if you still have an issue.

HTH,
    ski123

12. tomboy007

Thanks Ski

I have checked the services as you suggest and it appears that

A I don't even HAVE an SSL service!
    B) There are only 2 services on the standard and the extended lists I can see that are disabled - Remote Access Connection Manager and Routing and Remote access.

Have I missed something?

13. ski123

ski123 Registered Member

tomboy007,

Do you have Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home?

Is the Operating System ServicePack 1 or ServicePack 2?

ski123

14. tomboy007

XP 5.1 Service Pack 1

15. ski123

ski123 Registered Member

I recommend you update your OS to SP2.
    That should remedy the problem.

ski123

16. dougclind

dougclind Registered Member

I'm having the same problem on one of my computers on my home LAN. There are 3 computers on the LAN and the other 2 have no problem connecting to https sites.

The only firewall is the windows firewall and the sites are still blocked even when it's turned off. I do have Norton Anti-Virus 2006 running on it but I don't see anything on NAV that would block a port. The computer is running xp pro sp2.

I don't have any problem connecting to regular sites. The HTTPS service you mentioned is on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.