http://zemana.com/Anti-Malware/

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by manar58, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manar58

manar58 Registered Member

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Zemana Anti-malware is a rebranded version of Hitman Pro.

3. manar58

manar58 Registered Member

Thanks...:thumb:

4. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

Something interesting...
    Zemana is still on it´s 3.5.9.130 version (without any comercials and 9 sec. pausing) ,and Hitman´s on it´s 3.6.0 build 146 with all those irritating stuff...
    So,I´m wondering...

5. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

More complexities.

Zemana has never been very visible on issues like support.

And Zemana offerred a HitmanPro (Surfright) giveaawy

Hitman Pro Giveaway
    http://blog.zemana.com/2011/03/hitman-pro-giveaway.html

Zemana marketeers began yesterdays BitsDuJour giveaway with a spam parade, annoying a lot of readers.
    http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/zemana-antilogger-172986/

Hitman Pro has a similar reputation, and this review also touches on the connection.

http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3-32-bit/3000-2239_4-10895604.html
    And there's a new program that seems to be a Hitman Pro "clone": Zemana Anti-malware, who's screenshot says "Powered by Hitman Pro" and, according to an "Advanced Member" in a (well known forum) discussion, "Do you know Zemana AntiMalware and Hitman Pro uses the same license file? So you can use HMP with a Zemana AntiMalware license or vice-versa or in fact use both". Hitman Pro rebranded? And if so why? ...Or what for? ....Now check user reviews on Hitman Pro in different web sites and you will find some that sound "too advertising or sales man" to be real user reviews. And you can start right here, at Cnet.

====================

As explained there, Hitman Pro has had its own copyright-licensing issues. Perhaps by opening up the Zemana brand they hoped to make those concerns less visible.

And I used Zemana for awhile and liked it (did not know of the Hitman connection) after a free giveaway. However, I really do not feel to give hooks in the OS over to programs that are not clearly defined as to who wrote them, what is the support, etc.

As to whether they are the same programs or not, I have no idea. Never used the Hitman. Perhaps Zemana works with a different or subset group of programs, so it can be advertised more as an anti-logger ?

Steven Avery

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

HitmanPro3 has a similar reputation as what? Spamming marketeers?
    And they have had 'licensing issues' resulting in them rebranding their product by starting a different company Zemana?

SurfRight B.V. has only licensed their product HitmanPro3 to Zemana Ltd, they haven't started the company Zemana Ltd.
    Zemana Antilogger is a different program than Zemana Antimalware, which is a licensed HitmanPro3 version.
    Surfright BV, being a registered company in the Netherlands, would likely have been sued into an abyss if they'd be using other AV tech without license agreements. And they don't send spam.

I wouldn't trust everything you read in one user review at CNet Download.com.

7. Steven Avery

Hi,

The reference was to this part of the CNET note:

"..Now check user reviews on Hitman Pro in different web sites and you will find some that sound "too advertising or sales man" to be real user reviews. And you can start right here, at Cnet."

Which sounds similar to what happened at Bits with Zemana.

My apologies for making it sound like the rebranding may have occurred in that way. I was not familiar with the new Zemana product. (This would give Zemana two products, one a bit obstrusive, with OS hooks, as an anti-keylooger ... the other very light.)

The earlier licensing issues are well known.

Which does not tell us how Zemana has used Hitman. And if Hitman is still in the gray area of licensing, that would also apply to use by Zemana.

ok, so after they did the Hitman giveaway, they set up the new program under the Zemana rebrand.

Presumably identical, or Zemana a partial release behind.
    Possibly with better support directly from Hitman ?

Surfright began in 2008, the original Hitman was much earlier and definitely had two concerns, loading too much on your system, and licensing issues. From what I am reading, the Hitman Pro 3 acts as a traffic cop to the new breed of cloud scans (much stabler than the old way). This solves the load on system concerns, and lessens any licensing issues.

And there are clearly gray areas in the use of cloud scans. Does Hitman Pro have a page where they discuss, show, or make available the licensing ? Simply saying "we would get sued otherwise" is not really sufficient. Wiki says that the current Hitman is using -- Dr Web, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, G Data AntiVirus and IKARUS -- if that is accurate if those four companies have accepted 3rd-party commercial software use, either by the words of their normal licensing agreement or by a special license to Hitman, there is no problem.

True. However, it was a well-informed review, giving a lot of helpful, neutral information about the Zemana link.

Anyway, if some enthusiastic Hitman Pro person a couple of times did a bit of review spam years ago, that is not a horrible thing, as long as it was noted and stopped. And I saw there was also a recent issue with one of the adware companies used by Hitman. The Zemana thing yesterday was cheesy, whoever was behind it.

However, if the 4-cloud technology is basically sound, I probably will give it a try. None of the above are deal-breakers, and the concept is quite sensible. I would like to see some positive (as opposed to no-negative) indication on the licensing.

Steven Avery

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Surfright BV. began in 2006, HitmanPro 3 was released in 2008. First edition of HMP was in 2004.
    Afaik, Surfright BV doesn't have a page where they discuss or show their licenses but I hardly think any (security) software company has a page where they present their license agreements with other companies.
    I haven't ever come across such a page from, for instance, G-Data on their licenses for Avast and BitDefender engines or from Emsisoft on their Ikarus license.
    That's just not par for the course, I'd say.
    Seeing that Surfright BV has started a partnership with Dutch router/switch manufacturer SiteCom link and US company Silicium Security who offer enterprise security products link, I'd say that's an indication those companies are convinced that Surfright BV offers a solid business model.

9. Steven Avery

Hi,

True, but Hitman uses (and switches) between multiple vendors, and clearly there were concerns expressed in the earlier versions. The situation is different, since there is a known history of vendors being concerned.

Sure, an indication. Not sure what type of partnership. And it does not mean that they won't get a cease-and-desist letter from one of the scan companies.

To be clear, it is unlikely that anything here would every become a court case (bad publicity for both sides) but it is a bit of a unique and fragile model, to piggy-back on multiple free scans to make a commercial product, without, it seems so far, any royalties to the scan suppliers. (Does Hitman show you which engine tagged which possible baddie ?)

Steven Avery

10. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Yes. SurfRight also sell Emsisoft and G Data products in their store "With FREE Hitman Pro 3 license."

11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Click the links, read the text and you know what kind of partnerships. Easy.
    And it also doesn't mean they will get a cease-and-desist letter. One can speculate of course about the absence of any license agreement, but that's all.
    What free scan does G-Data offer to your knowledge? There is none, afaik.
    And yes, HMP3 shows which engine detects (possible) malware.

12. tipo

tipo Registered Member

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^You're right, those 2 icons do not match. At all.
    That sure does look sloppy.
    The screenshot on the Zemana site (build 120) looks OK. link
    http://antimalwaredownload.org/AntiMalwareBig1.jpg.
    Gonna install Zemana Antimalware myself to see if it's fixed perhaps...

edit; The current ZemanaAntimalware x86 version I just dl/installed (build 130) looks fine, just like the pic on the Zemana website showing build 120.
    Apparantly, it's only an icon issue on previous version(s) like on the pic you linked from the Zemana blog showing build 117 for x64.
    Icon issue is fixed. Zemana only needs to update the pic on their blog.

edit2; I've contacted Zemana and they've updated the pic on their blogpage on the old giveaway, now showing proper icons and AV names link

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.