HTTP Switchboard for Chrome/Chromium:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Nov 25, 2013.

1. cet

cet Registered Member

So do we have to uninstall it? or is it safe to continue to use it.Today some of the lists showed ''new version available'' and I updated those.

2. cet

cet Registered Member

So is it safe to continue to use it? The lists can be updated.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Sure it is! Even if it weren't possible to update those lists, the basic functionality of HTTPSB would still be sound and valid.

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Wow, sad it won't get gorhill perfecting his great little tool but he says he'll still update the assets and make sure it works on new versions of Chrome so still a keeper for me.

Also, we all get frustrated with things at times, he may be back. If not the codes there for someone to pick up and run with. Not the end of HTTP Switchboard quite yet I'm sure.

Cheers

5. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

What sad news, what are you all talking about?

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

-https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/wiki/Change-log

Raymond does mention he will ensure it keeps working with latest versions of Chrome browsers, so the news isn't all that sad after all :)

7. Jarmo P

Thank you, but what happened? Raymond has been solid in his work. Same as Tzuk was, though not as long time.

There is one developer whom I really miss and that was the hungarian Karoly Pados, ultim in here, who made TinyWall. He disappeared from the forum for months. Then came back with some new developments, full of enthusiasm only to vanish shortly after all together. With ultim I suspect it is some bipolar disorder and hope to hear from him.

And lets just hope this is not the case with Raymond. There is none better extension for Chrome than yours Raymond.

8. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

9. Jarmo P

In my limited knowledge opinion HTTP Switchboard is a better blocker than NoScript and has been one of the decisions to use Chrome more than Firefox. If that matters any. This thread should have been moved to other place in wilders to get more coverage.

10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

So what are some of the things you have accomplished?

- 100+ revs in 10 months or something like that?
    - Built a very respectable piece of code that is of true value to you and others?
    - Improved your skills in the areas of extension development, javascript, other web technology, etc?
    - Gained respect and appreciation from significant numbers of users and some fellow developers?
    - Received compliments from and networked with some folks at EFF, Mozilla, and probably elsewhere?
    - Helped to improve the Chrome/Chromium ecosystem and helped people to improve their security/privacy?

A fine job AFAICT. I hope you remember to be proud of yourself for accomplishing all of that.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

Great news - Raymond has decided that he will keep working on HTTPSB.

What a relief!

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Nice :thumb:.

13. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hell yes, I couldn't use Chromium without HTTPSB. I be forced to go back to slow and choppy Firefox. Gorhill has exposed and closed all the Google backend crap for me.

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I didn't realize people would interpret it as if I was pulling the extension from existence. No way that would ever happen.

So yes, I will keep maintaining it to ensure it works well and I will add any feature which makes sense. But clearly it finally reached a state which is rather stable, while for most of the development there was always something which I felt needed to be added/fixed asap. In other words, the pace at which features are added will markedly slow down. If you look at my github profile, you will notice I don't focus on one particular topic, I like to try new things, and currently the idea of lightweight proxy ("lightweight" as in "not system wide", but just for the browser to sit on) is really something I want to go ahead with (I've tried to find an excuse to code in Go, and I might just have found that excuse).

15. Ro_

Ro_ Registered Member

Any plans to bring this over to Firefox? It's a fantastic extension, but Chromium-based browsers have an awful memory leak which cause frequent crashes.

16. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

gorhill, from the get-go you have been bombarded with requests.
    This extension is such an indispensable part of my browsing, I really wouldn't mind if you'd cut half of what you've added since the beginning. (Even like dropping ad blocking rules completely)
    It would still be my nr1 Chrome extension. Whatever keeps it manageable for you.

And about the need to counter untruth from fellow coders regarding remarks about HTTPSB (also looking at you, Moz guys!), it seems to me those are $$-related than technical-based.
    While that won't make the frustration of reading such trash-talk any less, you're skill/success apparently freaks out other people.
    Again, HTTPSB is awesome. Thanks Raymond.

17. tlu

tlu Guest

I think that many users - myself included - were afraid not only about pulling HTTPSB from existence but also about possible incompatibilities with newer Chrome versions since there was only a "The end. Moving on ..." in the changelog at first. Your later additions and explanations fortunately rendered that sorrows void :)

What do you see as the major advantage compared to a browser extension? I guess it might be easier to port it to Firefox. On the other hand, a proxy is normally a separate application which means that it would have to be available for different operating systems. Wouldn't that complicate things? (But perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what you call a "lightweight" proxy.)

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

works fine on my machine.
    try the new 64 bits Chrome.

as to bring this to Firefox, i think the chances are very slim to none.
    Ray has put more than enough man-hours, perhaps too may, in this extension for Chrome.

19. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

20. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'm having an issue where all of a sudden everything is being allowed. I don't know if I did something to cause it or what, but how do I get back to where I can choose the presets (like NoScript-like)?

21. syrog

syrog Registered Member

In post #509 within this thread I suggested that:
    "I think if this thread was in "other anti-malware software" subforum OR "privacy technology" subforum, then it was going to be watched by more members and consequently more feedback and suggestions."

Please "apathy" (the creator of this thread) or any moderators who are capable of moving this thread would you mind to move this thread into "Privacy Technology" subforum?

My respect in advance!

22. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It might be this...

Attached Files:

23. tlu

tlu Guest

Just open the "About" tab in HTTPSB and click "Start from scratch".

24. apathy

apathy Registered Member

This thread probably should be under Privacy or Malware related topic. I don't know if the mods will move it though.

25. tlu

tlu Guest

Just noticed that the newest version of ScriptSafe

and has

I haven't tested that new version yet, and I won't: HTTPSB is unbeatable!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.