HTTP scanner and download accelerators

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by ghost2003, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost2003

ghost2003 Registered Member

When it comes to a antivirus I dont want to have my systems security in the hands of a beta product so instead of trying it im just gonna ask here. How well would the HTTP scanner work with a download accelerator? For small files (under 10MB) I use the normal firefox download manager but when they are bigger files I always use star downloader(unless the website doesnt allow that kind of program) but after reading on how the HTTP scanner work I dont know if the two will be compatible.

2. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Although this is not a direct anwer to your question I would ask you to reflect on the fact that all software is always in beta mode. All software (bar the most basic programs) always contain bugs.

I suspect that you're more likely to get a response from the company involved if you report a bug in their beta software. Relying on others to test the software is not always a good idea. You may have a situation not encountered by other's testing. Using a download manager may be an example.

Being hit by a virus shouldn't be the end of the world, especially in a commercial situation. You've got a disaster recovery plan and you've tested it. Haven't you ;)

3. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

About the other question, NOD scan all files via HTTP in two modes: Passive and Active. Active is more secure as IMON scan the entire file before the other aplicattion have access however if the file is over 3 megabytes, as IMON scan it before reach the aplicattion, the aplicattion that is downloading the file can "believe" that the file isn¡t downloading correctly so download stop. Others software like Quicktime can't work in active mode too, because those need to download the movie while is being played.
    In passive mode, IMON scan only some parts of the files. Anyway, most malware are not more than 2 megabytes and the malware that is over this size, can be scanned in passive mode or when it touch the disk using AMON.
    I personally like http feature, because detect all before the malware is able to touch the disk. I don't use downloaders manager, but IMON has a feature that if a file is over a certain size, IMON automatically change to passive mode.

4. ghost2003

ghost2003 Registered Member

Ya but the DA cuts the file in 4 pieces and downloads all 4 at the same time but wont IMON think they are 4 different files? If it does then how could it detect the malware if it doesnt sees 1/4 of the file? And the active scan would defeat the purpose of the DA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.