http errors caused by internet security suites

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Meriadoc, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I decided to post a recent experience that a friends been having with his computer that I helped him with.

Using ie6 he's been having constant http 400 errors and google messages that his browser was sending malformed requests when clicking on a link. Very annoying indeed having to refresh a page constantly to get something up if at all.

Now he already scanned for viruses and spyware before asking me how to reinstall ie - so I said I'd take a look over remote assistance (before he did something that was not needed.)

I had a hunch that the malformed request was being caused by his computer to the web server by some privacy setting in his Norton internet security suite which was stripping out some important information and sure enough through a process of elimination NIS add on pack was the cause.

First I made sure everything in ie6 was at default and flushed DNS - problem was still there.
    Then I disabled everything in NIS (NIS2007+add on pack) - fired up ie and sites were back to displaying with no more error 400.
    So, I reactivated the settings one by one in NIS to see if I'd receive the error again and it did with the add on pack.

Searching I've found people having the same problems with Trend.
    A bad update, corrupted profile I'm unsure but for now the add on has been uninstalled.

some of the errors...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi Meriadoc,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting about Norton Internet Security.

First, what version of Norton Internet Security is your friend using?

Also, have you run LiveUpdate recently to make sure you have the latest application and definition files?

Please try manually running LiveUpdate first, and then do a Full System Scan to make sure that your system is not infected.

Also, make sure that you do not have any other 3rd party AntiVirus or Internet Security applications installed, as they can cause conflicts. Check Add/Remove Programs and remove them first.

Lastly, your installation could be corrupt. To fix this problem, please follow the steps below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then reinstall Norton Internet Security. Towards the end of the installation process, the LiveUpdate feature will automatically run and download and install updates to both the program files and definition files.

4. When the installation is complete, please manually run LiveUpdate to make sure that all of the updates are downloaded and applied. To do so, Click Start-> All Programs->Norton Internet Security->LiveUpdate. LiveUpdate will run again and download and install any additional updates that are available. When this is complete, close the LiveUpdate window by clicking the "Finish" button.

5. Perform a Full System Scan.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks,
    Mike

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Michael, thanks for responding.
    He is using NIS2007 and no other security products. He ran Live update before doing a scan and I have also had a look (looking at malware is apart of my companies work) and he had no infection.

This was my guess and have already told him how to use symnrt and to reinstall nis. As soon as I know I will post if it has resolved the issue. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.