http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2011/11/04/converting-a-chrome-user-to-firefox/

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

A Firefox dev's experience of installing Firefox and trying to migrate a user from Chrome to Firefox. Makes for interesting reading.

What's also interesting is the bit about MS Windows and how so many devs aren't really aware of how different the experience is relative to Macs or Linux.

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Interesting reading, indeed. ;)
    Thanks for the Link. :thumb:

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

:argh:

Yeah... I suppose the security aspects of the browsers aren't that important. :rolleyes: I suppose that guy simply forgot to mention Google Chrome doesn't need any third-party add-ons to make the Web experience a lot safer for the user... :rolleyes:

Indeed... add-ons... :D

I wouldn't expect much from someone who says this:

Sure... closing the programs we got opened is annoying and an obstacle, but rebooting the system is a lot faster and less annoying... Oh, wait, we also need to save our work and close the programs... and wait... reboot. Yeah, a lot faster... :D

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

which mean the author could probably have 'feed' her Safari without her blinking an eye. ;)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You mean people actually close all their open programs when they install anything else but security programs? Never have myself, and not a thing has happened, lol.

6. m00nbl00d

Oh... by the way, Google Chrome doesn't ask to reboot. :D

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

When does Firefox, outside of an update? If you mean restarting the browser, lol, well, sadly I never make it long enough with Chrome to find out what happens with automatic updates. Chrome hates me and never has worked right :D

8. guest

guest Guest

Moderately sophisticated computer user?

I thought that was me.

She is a complete noob, come on.

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It is evident for someone with a Mac/Linux Experience. :thumb:
    I've used all major Browsers: No one is perfect; no one is 'the Safest'.
    Browser-wars are Meaningless...;)

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Geez, be careful, would ya? You trying to start a riot? :D

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Agreed. Browser wars are to the internet what commercials are to broadcast television.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

At least we can ignore the browser wars :D

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

firefox sux in many ways compare to chromeinum based browser

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well that didn't take long.

15. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

And it begins..

16. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

And why would we do that? Now that Windows 7 overtook XP, Chrome vs FF is the only "war" we left with :D

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

We still have hope, cross your fingers and toes, lol.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, IE still has some gas in the tank (we need to see what 10 will bring us). As for other would-be contenders, well, they kind of have only themselves to blame, in my opinion (*waves at Opera*). I don't see a point in "wars" anyway. The last thing we need is less choice, and I don't think the world will fall apart at the seams if someone uses a different browser. There are security advantages, and, yes, some do perform better under some circumstances. However, at the end of the day, it's about getting to point A to point B..and they all do quite well at that.

19. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

They (browser vendors) can make all the claims they want about which is better. They can call it "wars" if they think it makes it sound important. But when it comes to being secure, the best browser is the one with Proxomitron between it and the web. After that, it's not much of an issue and can be decided on personal preference.

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

this should be interesting!

pretzels anyone?
    i'll make popcorn later. ;)

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

By this logic we should all be using lynx on an exokernel.

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

As crazy o_O as it sounds, there are people who choose a browser for other reasons than security. ;)

23. Daveski17

Opera aren't looking anyway, you could wave, use semaphore with giant flags or even email them, they will just carry on in their merry old way. I think that this may be their problem LOL! :D

24. m00nbl00d

Well, you need to look at it from the perspective of someone who worked/works in Firefox development, which seems to be what that guy does.

He talked about superficial differences, but forgot to bring out a very important aspect, specially for the average Joe and Jane, who knows nothing about other means to cover that issue.

It just seems a bit odd that the security aspect wasn't brought to discussion by the guy. Or, did he think that his relative wouldn't want a more secure browser? Maybe not...

25. Daveski17

Well, he's bound to have a preference for Firefox I would say.

"The thing that caught her attention most was that Mozilla is a non-profit organization. She hadn’t known this and it appealed to her greatly — she said that browser speed and the non-profit nature were the two most important things to her."

I wouldn't say Mozilla's non-profit nature & browser speed were necessarily superficial differences.

"The best part of the process was when I installed AdBlock Plus."

Considering that ABP works far better on Firefox than Chrome & malvertisements are probably the most common way the average user is infected he probably didn't think it was worth boring the woman with a load of cyber-babble that probably would have made little sense to her.

The plain fact of the matter is that most normal people don't choose a browser just for security reasons. IMHO, apart from sandboxed tabs etc, Chrome hasn't got half the flexibility or customising potential as Firefox, & in my experience Firefox 7 is as fast as Chrome in page rendering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.