HTPC and HDTV component

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by markymoo, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

I am building a HTPC and the tv sadly doesn't have any digital inputs as it was just before HD took off. It does have component input which is next best after HDMI. Does anyone know much about HTPC and graphics HDTV out and connecting it to the component in? I want to use this if possible instead of the s-vhs as it superior. Does a component cable come with a HDTV graphics card? It also has freeview but it built-in so i think i wont be able to record from it using the tuner. Here are the specs for the tv, it has certain HD resolutions and tv can do 1366 x 768. Thanks in advance.

Component Signal that can be displayed:

525(480)/60i
    525(480)/60p
    625(576)/50i
    625(576)/50p
    750(720)/50p
    1125(1080)/50i

CONNECTIONS
    Component video in; Scart x3 (2 RGB); S-video in; composite video in

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Most graphic cards have a cable that splits the signal from the card into component signals.

3. markymoo

yes. in spec of graphics cards it doesn't list the exact cables with such and such a graphics card. it is a slow process checking out each review for a card.

what i need is a graphics card that supplies this cable.

http://www.natalex.com/product_images/20070406144442_DSCN1838.jpg

so if most HDTV cards supply that cable that's great.

4. markymoo

That something better can be found through the use of component video cables. Not many video cards support them, but those that do definitely have the HTPC user in mind. The signal over component video can be of excellent quality, and will support the highest resolutions of HDTV signal (if your card and TV are both capable).

I was wondering if i can get a higher quality signal from the DVI instead of the s-video component breakout cable.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  5. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Google DVI to Component Video Adapter, should be able to find something for about 20 to 30 bucks. I have a bunch of the s-component cables laying around from my obsessive upgrades. Would send it to you if you didn't live in England. DVI trumps S-video.

6. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

7. markymoo

Ok what i found out is there's no better quality going from DVI to component as it has to convert the signal from digital to analogue then back which can make it worse. Thanks for the offer. I just wanted to be clear as i don't want to order again or have to send back. I will need a RCA 3 male to male lead as well i believe to connect from tv to the gfx component lead and they not cheap.

Thanks, I been on that site a few times. It's a very good site but i didn't quite get the answer i was looking for, but alot knowledgeable helpful peeps.

I was looking at this gfx card as i heard Nvidia are slightly better for HDTV and it passive.

I'm getting a dual digital tuner so i can totally bypass the built-in tuner, wanted the Nova-T 500 but it is always out of stock but heard good things with the TerraTec and works good with Vista MCE. Hope the EPG is decent.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.