htm/l association problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i think i have a small problem with saved htm and html pages. in Folder Options i have both htm and html registered with firefox, so saved pages should have a firefox icon. is that correct?

my saved pages, when i double-click them, open in firefox, but they don't have it's icon - just a plain texted-like icon.

i know it's not a big thing, but do you know how to get my saved htm/l pages to use the correct icon? - firefox's. thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If your default browser is Firefox, it should save them as .htm with the Firefox icon. Right click on the file, change, and check your options.

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

This problem is not unusual. I have a folder filled with HTML files. Some of the HTML files have Firefox icons, while the others have Frontpage icons. I believe that the default icon is always what your "Open with..." application is, while edited files can get an icon from the application that created them.

I just tested part of this theory by saving an HTML file with Word. Sure enough, the new HTML file got a Word icon.

If you are really concerned, you could try flushing the icon cache according to this Microsoft Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199152

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi Ron and Close_Hauled, when i right-click a saved html file there aren't very many options i can change.

i just created a new html file in OO and it saved the same way. i also tried some other text editors with the same results.

however, if it's connected to "Open with..." i have a shell extension that will have affected that, so that must be it :) if i find away to fix it i'll post. thanks for your help [​IMG]

5. Close_Hauled

Iceni,

The menu selection should be "Open With" - "Choose Program...". With this, you are presented with the "Open With" dialog box. In it should be a list of apps that you can choose. On the lower left, there should be a check box that says "Always use this program to open these files". The default icon usually changes to the selected application after you have selected this check box.

Hope this helps.

Close

Attached Files:

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have done that afew times, each time i have ticked the box to always use firefox, but the icon doesn't change to firefox. it's just a variation of my first post question i think. i might see if i can find anthing i can change in the registry.

7. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Ice,

Have you tried associating that file type with FF from "folder options?"
    Like Close said I believe the program that creates a particular file maintains the association. ;)

GF

8. Close_Hauled

Did you try the steps in the Microsoft article that I mentioned before?:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199152

Specifically, these steps:

There is another Microsoft article that has a slightly different method:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216165

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi GF. LOL that's what i said i'd done in the 2nd sentence, post#1 :D

CH, i read your post 2/3 times but i missed the MS link o_O i don't think i want to try it, i'm too scared. i'm going to leave it for now, it's such a small thing and as i don't image i promised myself i'd take things abit easier on this install. thanks for your help though. BTW it's nice to talk to you again, hope you are well.

10. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Oop's! Sorry about that buddy, I'll try'n pay more attention next time! :D

GF

11. Close_Hauled

Iceni,

Deleting anything can be nerve racking. I wish that I had a better answer for you. I will try to rename the file on a computer in my lab. That will back it up. Then I will let the system create a new one. And finally, I will restore the old one. I will let you know what happened.

It's nice talking to you again too. Did you see my post from a couple of days ago?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=91508

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi Close_Hauled. don't worry about trying to fix it, like i said it's such a small problem.

i did see your thread and i shall try and think of a way to help. like Pilli said, since we last spoke, more countries have joined the EU. meaning poorer EU country's nationals can come and work here.

i can only offer the same as last time :rolleyes: we can talk through PMs if you like.

13. Close_Hauled

PMs works for me. I am anxious to here what is goin on in the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.