HTASTOP is a RAT?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Checkout, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I've just run PestPatrol with the latest update, and it's alerted in HTASTOP - as a trojan.

This is really hard to beleive, since I downloaded it from a link here at Wilders! It says SkdRemover 1.0 (whatever that is). PestPatrols Pest Verification Token is 1255152715.

Can anyone confirm or disprove this, please?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

lol!

My money's on "Another FP from our friends at PP!" Pete

3. Checkout

Thanks, Pete - for a while there I thought I was in danger of either growing up or slipping back into reality. :)

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Checkout

echoing what Pete said.........the below may be of some interest.....it "MAY" be an aka for what you mentioned......not sure this is allowed....mods can remove if need be: I think there is "one" removal tool specifically for this trojan:......any AT should do it

Name: SkyDance
    Aliases: SKD,
    Ports: 4000 (port can be changed)
    Files: Skydance2.16b.zip - 267,013 bytes Skydance2_20bf.zip - 292,637 bytes Skydance2.23b.zip - 296,332 bytes Skydance2_25bf.zip - 303,060 bytes Skydance2.29b.zip - Skyserver 2.16 beta release.exe - 163,840 bytes Skyserver 2.20 beta release.exe - 172,032 bytes Skydance 2.16 beta release.exe - 409,600 bytes Skydance 2.20 beta release.exe - 430,080 bytes Hskdl.dll - 36,864 bytes Skd.exe - Skd.dll - Skdl.dll - Mail.vbs - Activex-security-off.vbs - Starturl.vbs - Regkey.vbs - Regkey.txt - o_O bytes
    Created: April 2000
    Requires: N/A
    Actions: Remote Access
    Among the information this trojans steals is a copy of all registrysettings.
    Versions: 2.0, 2.01, 2.15b, 2.16b, 2.20b, 2.291b, 2.23b, 2.25b, 2.29b,
    Registers: HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
    Notes: Works on Windows 95, 98, ME and NT. Password = Skydance.
    Program: Written in C++.

5. Checkout

Thanks, Snowman. I'm running a TDS3 Deep Scan right now, and I'm pretty confident that it won't find a thing. I find it easier to believe TDS than PP...

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Checkout

you are always most welcome....by the ways..last year on another machine I ran htaStop an never noticed any adverse traffic...........

7. sig

sig Registered Member

HTASTOP if I remember correctly is produced by the BOClean folks. No, it's not a RAT and think about it, it's not good for business for an AT company to either produce or be accused of producing a RAT. I'd trust the BOClean people over PP anyday.

It is, however, if I recall correctly, not the first time I've seen reports that PP identifies a competitor's product (or a component thereof) as suspect.

8. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

http://www.nsclean.com/htastop.html

why even use a program like PP........its pathetic!

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I have used HTAStop for over 2 years now and have run literally dozens upon dozens of scans with TDS3, Spybot [when I got it a few weeks ago] and I even had *PestPatrol* for a while and not one single peep.

FALSE ALARM CONTROLLER, I WILL BET MY HOUSE KEYS ON IT.

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I agree that HTAStop is a false positive. I have been using it for over a year with both TDS and TrojanHunter, and neither one has ever alarmed on it.

I beleive the new version of PP has a problem with false positives. Patrick has been having a problem with PP alarming on parts of his SpyBot S&D and from what I have read PP does not seem to care to fix the problem as Patrick has been trying to get them to fix it for a while now...

Just my two cents worth :D ....

Regards,
    Kent

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

False positive - no need to worry ;).

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.