HP to charge for updates and service packs on servers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by stapp, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Does not affect me. Still does not take away the fact that this is a stupid move. Alas, time will tell.

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

*puts on bad guy hat*

People will start searching for these updates, lets create trojanized versions and upload them all over the web allowing us direct server root access.

4. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Bad move for HP, anyway since I dont use them it doesnt affect me. But still a lot of people would go to third party sites searching for these drivers.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

This mostly affects business/corporate users who pay 10s of 1000s of $$$ for their big servers. I don't see how it will affect normal home consumers - yet.

However, if HP wants to destroy their consumer (us) business, they will migrate this "pay for updates" policy to their home computers.

Interesting how the VP who announced this new policy did so in a blog titled, "Customers for life".

Yeah right.

6. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

There are a lot small users with 10< servers maybe. When this comes to effect not all of them would be willing to pay. So the choice would be potentially vulnerable servers and in effect some rise in malwares.

7. Bill_Bright

I would not call a user with "10 servers" as a "small user". But regardless, there may be many small and large businesses with limited budgets who may be affected.

Not sure I can agree with that either. Note we are talking "firmware" and service packs for the server.

Windows OS updates will still be released by MS.

"New" (after the warranty period) firmware updates and server hardware service packs are not likely to be security related. I am not saying it is not possible, just not likely to be an issue for most in that boat.

The more likely problem will be incompatible hardware problems. For example, users will not be able to upgrade their servers to newly released CPUs if the old firmware does not support it.

I am not saying security will never be an issue, just not the big problem.

Frankly, I see this a no different from PC motherboard makers not releasing W8 drivers for their older XP era motherboards - they would much rather you buy a new board that does.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Not sure why with a server you would think you need firmware/service pack updates, but not hardware support.
    I wonder how much of an issue this would/will be in practise, I mean how many fireware updates NEED to be installed after standard warranty (1 to 3 year depending on model) runs out ?

9. Bill_Bright

If speaking to me, I did not say, or mean to imply that. But this article is all about firmware and SP support after the normal hardware warranty expires.

That's my point exactly. Errors (bugs) in the original firmware are typically discovered and ironed out (with new updates) within the first few months of hitting the shelves. Firmware updates after that are typically to "add" support for new CPUs and such - not to "fix" issues with current hardware.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Bill, was talking in the general, not directly at you :)

11. Bill_Bright

Then we are still on the same page! :)

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. Bill_Bright

And the key point there is:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.