HP-no windows cds-just recovery partition--need help Please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CJW, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJW

CJW Registered Member

I have an HP- so no actual windows cds-- I wanted to use Acronis 9.1 Home to build a clean install of Windows before all the clutter happens and then add my documents and folders, rebuild my system and save that pristine build again as an image.
    I did the work of a rebuild, created a .tib file of this "New" install saved on my C drive and then sent it to DVDs where it is stored on 3 dvds. Acronis now just thinks it is a file, I think. When I try to mount the image, it doesn't happen and I am told it is "Not a partition and can't be mounted".

Can I salvage this situation, or do I need to do it all again?
    Related note: if I can restore this NEW windows from Acronis, can I then put my documents and settings into the mix without corrupting everything again? Will there be a lot of reinstalling of software needed and snipping of other fragments?
    Thanks.
    Cliff

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you are trying to "mount" the image from DVD that won't work. You will need to copy the files from the DVDs' to a folder on your hard drive and then you can mount the image. How did you create the original backup? Is it an "entire disk or partition" or did you choose "Files and Folders". If the latter you can't mount a "files and folders" image. BTW there is no 9.1 Home but there is a 9.1 Workstation. Which do you have and what build are you running? Use Help--->About and post the 4 digit build number.

3. CJW

CJW Registered Member

My mistake-- Acronis True Image Home 9.0 (build 3,633) is correct.
    I used an external firewire hard drive for backup but ran out of space so I thought the dvds would work the same way.
    If I put the dvd .tib back on C:/ will I be able to mount them on C:/?
    Cliff

4. thomasjk

Yes, just copy them to your drive. BTW you have an old build of V9. You may want to download either B3677 or B3854(latest). 3677 is very stable and has some fixes for burning to DVD. Most folks prefer to use external drives. Its easier and faster. You could also use the two step process and create DVD sized chunks on your hard drive and then burn them to DVD with Nero or any other burning program. With DVDs the restore process can be a very labor intensive chore. There is a lot of disk swapping. If you want to actually restore these files copying them to an external drive would work also.

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If your going to rely on DVD media as a primary means of backup, make sure you have top-quality media. Do a disc quality check of your saved backups with "Nero or similar software" before you have to use them in an emergency. You should have at least 90% quality to rely on the DVD media to recover you without errors. Many of the problems that people have recovering from DVD backups is bad media.

As long as you where able backup your c: with no errors, you will be able to recover it. Sometimes you might run into a restore that won't boot up, but that is usually easily repaired. I would keep your dvd backup for use only as a "worst case scenario" backup, and try to keep at least a weekly backup of your c: drive always ready to go (to prevent the reinstallation hassle of installing software and updates later on).

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

6. CJW

CJW Registered Member

I think I confused the Acronis program-- now Ver 9 build 3,854--- I had put the "Clean windows install" on dvds-- then I restored them to a folder back on my C drive-- then backed them up onto my external drive-- all using Acronis.
    The .tib file refuses to be used to replace all of my C drive--it claims it is a file, not a partition image. Can the settings be tricked back into knowing it is a partition or am I still missing a very large part of this picture? Will I need to do the whole reinstall of windows yet again?
    I know about using good name-brand dvds and have not had any go south on me yet. (Touch wood)
    Still digging,
    Cliff

7. thomasjk

If you still have the images in the folder on your C drive, copy the image files to your external hard drive and do the restore from there. It appears that you did a "Files and Folders backup" to your external drive. If true then you won't be able to restore the "Clean Windows" images from that file.

8. CJW

CJW Registered Member

Thanks Tom: It says it is a "file folder"; I will end this thread now. Next time I'll pay more attention to what I click on. This whole thing is like brain surgery for me. I have always had backups (even back in dos days), but until now I never had to do a restore. I guess what I really needed was more of a "cook-book" of how to successfully do the restore and backup. There seems to be heaps of advice about the need to backup-backup-backup; the restore part of the advice was a little less obvious when I looked.
    Thanks to all for trying to help.
    Regards,
    Cliff

9. thomasjk

Cliff, look at these guides from GroverH Need Help? These Beginner's Guides May Fill That Need!. You should be able to copy those image files from your "files & folders backup to either their original location or to your external hard drive. Check the user guide for details http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage9.0_ug.en.pdf See chapter 6.2.

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

CJW,
    If the backup did not contain the proper files, there was no way the restore could succeed. What you needed was an image backup of your entire drive which would have included all partitions--both hidden and diagnostic--should they exist. This would have enabled you to restore your system back to the same condition it was at the time of backup. This type backup is illustrated in my guides--previously mentioned by thomasjk --link below.

While a partition type backup of only your system partition would have helped in your recovery, having a "full disk" backup of all partitions offers additional options. A "files & folders" backup is ok for a backup of personal files but this type backup has no place in the recovery of your entire system. Save yourself a lot of grief. Backup your entire disk--all partitions.

Yes, as you mentioned, DOS was easier to backup and restore. Based on how the new operating systems are so entwined, it is no longer possible just to copy the Windows files and then restore them by overcopy. There are complications such as hidden files; many portions of the Windows registry and much more. A copy of files (or data copy) is of no help when trying to restore your system back to a prior time. While your personal files (My Docs, etc) can be indivudually copied/restored, even they have specific recorded places as to where located, etc--so even these are not always simple copies. The solution is an image backup which includes everything. Such as backup & restore is illustrated in my guides. Certainly there are variations to these guides, but they are a good beginning point.

There has been several recent postings about backup strategies. A search of the forum might be helpful.
    Hopefully your next ATI experiences can be more fruitful. It really is a very good program when you understand its functions.

My backup strategy Escalader
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159177

Imaging Plan Recommendations Sought TryBackup
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-143619.html

Recommend backup scheme for photos, music? Rgombine
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164175

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.