Hows Windows Defender these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Yanick, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You're not visiting the right sites :blink:.

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Was helping a friend of mine to clean her computer from malware. When I booted the computer, Windows Defender had already deleted 4 malicious files. After scanning the computer with MBAM, it got rid of the remaining 29 malicious files spread all over the harddrive. More on demand-scans with other vendors' softwares didn't find any other leftovers.

So all in all, Windows Defender does work, but isn't nearly as good or powerful as other tools available.

3. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I agree with Shadek, Defender is not as powerful as Security Essentials. The product will improve if Microsoft continues development. According to wikipedia, development is stalled.

You can download the Monitor tool for Windows Defender here. It adds the WD tray icon that appears in XP.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Of course it isn't. It's an antispyware versus an antivirus.

Really? In that case the fact that they share the same engine means MSE is stalled as well.

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Well I know that. And I don't expect it to be on par or to be compared against MSE that way. That is not what I was referring to.

That is not what they mean. Windows Defender is still recieving support, definitions and engine updates. But development of newer versions has been stalled.

6. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Well when I watch av tests in youtube like those from the LANGUY, he always had WD on in his clean Virtual test system and I see it always detects a lot of malwares and sometimes malwares (the red flag warns) that other top AVs miss. In-fact all this time in all the videos I have seen WD did not do bat at all.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

How is Windows Defender these days?

How is Windows Defender these days? OUTDATED. o_O :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.