How would you communicate if...

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Searching_ _ _, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

In Egypt, the government has shut down 4 out of 5 of the internet companies and cellular companies to reduce the ability of it's citizens organizing a resistance movement against the current political power.

If the US Government gets an Internet Kill Switch,
    How would you communicate if internet and cellular communications were shutdown?

It is much easier in Egypt because there are only 5 ISP's, in the U.S. there are 4000.

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. Searching_ _ _

Pretty interesting post by md,

4. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

5. hierophant

6. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

8. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

9. nix

nix Registered Member

I like this comment on the PCWorld article:

This person probably also has a system set up with radios, the OED, and a one time pad using a real piece of paper :) I like his thinking. Way to go, Northern lower Michigan.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Perhaps the answer to this lies in the past - we should, therefore, ask what did we do before we used the internet or mobile telephony?

11. Searching_ _ _

12. hierophant

Well, as Steve notes, we talked with our neighbors and friends. We had meetings and rallies, and spread the word via posters that we plastered everywhere. We used the telephone, with hierarchic calling networks.

However, I don't see community organizing and decentralized computer networks as mutually exclusive. Indeed, they're plainly synergistic. Without community organizing, few would see the value of decentralized networks. And good communication obviously facilitates community organizing.

13. nix

nix Registered Member

A good mainstream opinion piece which again invokes mesh networking. Mesh networking starts with community organization:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/05/rushkoff.egypt.internet/index.html?hpt=C1

14. katio

katio Guest

The bigger news for me is how quickly they turned it on again. There is no end in sight to the protests and unrest yet internet-access was already restored.
    Even though a very developed country by comparison this is still Africa. How long do you think a "First World" country would want turn off the internet? As everything depends on it, the question becomes what will the "powers that be" lose if they hit the killswitch compared to a civil unrest or even a revolution (which you can't stop that way anyway).
    Let's not forget that these powers aren't just reigning politicians. There are always many forces at work with their own agendas, some of which also stand to gain through a political change.

Internet censorship is an all or nothing affair. You can either block it completely (and then fail at that again as we saw, dialup and so on) or you let information flow. All attempts to censor within the network can and will be circumvented unless the complete infrastructure is downgraded to the dystopian Internet2 cable like infotainment medium. We are on our way there but I wouldn't worry yet (that is shunting down the internet - there's lot to worry about elsewhere).

15. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that people with old dial-up modems were able to connect out during the blackout in egypt.

I wonder if that is possible? I have been thinking about this lol, if say the government ever hits the cut-off switch would dial-up be still usable?

16. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

From here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.