How to word file name when creating back up...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

When I go to create a new full disc image to my external hard drive using T.I., I get to a screen where I need to put in a new file name for my image. can I type anything in there, such as "Full back up using 9.0.2277 on 10-09-2005", or do I need the other info at the begining and end in the file name I type in such as "D:\Full back up using 9.0.2277 on 10-09-2005.tib"?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello thebigdintx,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can create the backup file with this name (Full back up using 9.0.2277 on 10-09-2005).

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. thebigdintx

Ok, just to be clear about what you are saying to do.....when I select my external hard drive as the destination folder from the list of locations, it automatically puts a "D:\" in the file name box. So, do I erase that prompt and type my file name in the empty box, or do I need to put my file name after the "D:\" prompt? And do I need to type ".tib" at the end of my file name or no?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You must leave the D:\ or the file will not be created on the external (D) drive. If you have a folder for backups on the D drive called BACKUP then you will have D:\BACKUP\ before the part of the name that you type.

If you don't put a .tib at the end, that's OK. TI will add the .tib for you.

5. thebigdintx

Ok,,thanks. Is there anything which I can't put in the file name (any symbols, commas, dots, dashes, etc.) which would mess it up ?

6. thebigdintx

I tried creating a disc image with the file name begining with "E:\" and not putting the ".tib" at the end. T.I. did not put the ".tib" at the end automatically, and a data file was created instead of an image file. I guess I'll just make sure to put ".tib" at the end of the file name.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Looks like you found another bug in version 9.0. If you leave the .tib out and have no other period in the name, TI should add the .tib. It should add the .tib in any case, but I could see how another period might confuse it.

I'll have to confirm this and then report it if I can reproduce the problem.

8. thebigdintx

Anything I shouldn't use in a file name (dots, dashes, slashes, etc)?

9. thebigdintx

I believe the file name I used did have some other periods in it, and that may have been the reason ".tib" was not automatically put in at the end automatically for me. So, I guess periods are out for being put into file names....anything else I shouldn't use (dashes, slashes, etc.)?

10. xpcomputers

xpcomputers Registered Member

You should be able to use any characters that you normally can when typing a filename in windows.

So this means that you CAN'T use either of the slashes (they are used for folders and adding "switches" as instructions).

You can use dashes though. If you want to put a date into your filename, I always add it in the format: "29-09-2005" (eg using dashes not slashes. You can put the date in the mm-dd-yyyy or whichever date order format your country uses as long as you use dashes)

Using a period in a filename is technically possible under windows, but can cause problems as you have seen. I would always advise against it for maximum compatibility.

I would also avoid using ampersand: (&)
    This is a special character used before a character to show which letter will be made bold as a shortcut to run the file in some applications. Whilst it will save the file correctly, it will sometime appear in a listing without the (&) in place but with the following charcter in bold and underlined eg. Bits&bobs.tib might display as Bitsbobs.tib which would can make running the file difficult. Always therefore type (and) instead of (&)

You CAN'T use Question marks (?), asterix (*) (and I think exclaimation marks (!) are out too).

I never use comma's (,) or speech marks (") either, as again I think they have special roles in some applications, or command line instructions.

These rules apply to all windows programs, not just to Acronis TrueImage. I know of no special rules for TI compared to the standard file naming rules.

So I might write a filename as:

"Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - build 937 - created 29-09-2005 - part.tib"

The "part" is there just makes a neat way of using the auto numbering that Acronis will add. So when I type the above name and set TI to create 700Mb sized chunks for later archiving, TI makes several sequencial files of the backup and when you look later in the folder they will actually be called:

"Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-2005 - part1.tib"
    "Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-2005 - part2.tib"
    "Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-2005 - part3.tib"
    "Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-2005 - part4.tib"
    etc

Especially if you don't use "part" as the last word in your filename, but do let it break into smaller files or across multiple media, make sure your filename doesn't end in a number or date, because without the "part" in my above example if I only typed:

"Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-2005.tib"

I would actually end up with:

"Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-20051.tib"
    "Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-20052.tib"
    "Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-20053.tib"
    "Full backup of Dell - pre-virus removal - created 29-09-20054.tib"
    etc.
    As you can see this can end up being confusing!

11. thebigdintx

Thanks for the info! That's just what I needed.

12. rosina

rosina Registered Member

How do you delete file names?

thank you

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rosina,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify what file names do you mean?

Thank you.
    _ _
    Alexander Fedotov

14. David Campen

David Campen Registered Member

This works in TI V6 and V7. I use simple filenames such as 051026_ for a backup created on 26 October, 2005. I add the underscore so that as the backup spans files that numbering is obvious e.g. I get 051026_1, 051026_2 etc. All the other info goes in the note that TI asks you to enter. Also I create a new directory for each full backup and its incrementals e.g.
    d:\TIBackups\051026 so what I would see in the name box is:
    d:\TIBackups\051026\051026_

If there is more info I want to record about this backup I will put that in a text file in the directory.

15. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I, too, have had the problem randomly happen that no ".tib" is added to the end of file address line. In fact, just a few days ago it happened with v.8.00.937 for the first time. So I would agree, put the file name on manually. Of course when the wizard gets to the last screen before you actually start the backup, the file names will appear in the window and you'll see if the extension is intact. I now just click on one of the 'retained' (in the registry) names of old backup images that are in the drop down box and change the date or partition and leave everything, including the extension ".tib".

...Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.