How to view suspicious files?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by SirDeity, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirDeity

SirDeity Registered Member

Hello! I'm new to ESET and approaching the end of my free trial. I've been very happy with the product so far and am planning to purchase a liscense for the full product very soon. However, I have a question that's been really frustrating me:

How do I view suspicious files? ESET identified a file which it wants to send for analysis. That is fine, but I'd like to know which file ESET thinks is suspicious. I'm a very curious guy when it comes to my internet security and I like to know as much as possible. In previous antivirus security software, I've always noted everything suspected as malicious and googled them to satisfy my own curiosities.

To summarize, I'd just like to know exactly which file(s) ESET identifies as suspicious. A simple directory would suffice, so I could see the file for myself. Please provide instructions on how to find out which file(s) ESET is suspicious of on my system.

Thank you for the assistance!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check your Threat log or on-demand scan logs to find out what files were detected.

3. SirDeity

So the suspicious file it wants to analyze is, in fact, the virus it said it found earlier this week? I thought maybe the virus was a false alarm because I got it from simply googling USA maps and clicking an image (from google images) of a USA map. Anyway, it was quarantined and I deleted the virus along with the associated log file just to be safe. The reason I deleted the log file was because I wanted to know if that was what ESET wanted me to submit for analysis or if it was something else. I assumed that after I deleted the log file, if ESET continued asking me to send something for analysis, then it'd be a good indication that that wasn't what ESET wanted to send. The name of the file ESET wants me to send is "file.htm" but I did a search and couldn'd find it.

If ESET wants me to send it to them for analysis then it must currently exist, or at least some information about it must exist, on my system. I want to see it too, though. If it is possible to share it with ESET, why can't I also share it with myself? I just want to know exactly what the file is that ESET considers suspicious. Is it a video game, music file, other security software file, etc... I'm just curious.

Thanks for the replies.

PS. I can remember the URL I visited where I got the supposed virus but I didn't want to type it here in case it would violate any forum rules (we wouldn't want anyone accidentally clicking the link and potentially infecting themselves). If a moderator or whatever would like to know, just PM me and I'll be happy to provide more details.

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Normally heuristic detections are sent
    if you set the log level to high you can view these files

5. SirDeity

Log files under Antivirus protection for ESET was on "Informative records." I changed it to "Diagnostic records." Is this the "high" log level you mentioned?

Thanks for clarifying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.