How to use the MBR Floppy

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Dina, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. So true, so true. One of life's little computer mystries

Pete

2. twhk000

twhk000 Registered Member

hi pete

Good to see whats going to happen ..first of all i would suggest you to keep working on that image let that be your active system and now update your KAV and other softwares and try doing something and see whats going to happen ...

Knight

3. Peter2150

Hi Knight

You are kind of frustrating me cause you clearly aren't reading what I write, unless it's a language problem.

I am not keeping that image as active as it is somewhat out of date. Everything was fine when I restored it to test. I repeated the same sequence of events and what ever had happened didn't repeat. There is no point in doing an uninstall and reinstall of KAV as it will be fine. I know this because when i was having problems, it wasn't that the symptoms showed up when reinstall KAV, but that I tried reinstalling KAV, because of other symptoms that were causing problems with KAV. Those symptoms never reappeared when I repeated the sequence.

At this point since I can duplicate the problem, I remained puzzled at what happened, but consider the matter closed. The one change I've made is disabling FDISR preboot, when I image and restore.

I do appreciate you offers of assistance.

Pete

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL

"sir peter the brave manges to hose system" :gack:

Couple of lessons here from this excellent thread:
    1) So, even the most meticulous and and careful user we have: his system jumped up and bit him on the nose. Ouch. Could happen to any of us any time
    Shiver down the spines of all who read this. !!

2) carefully rehearsed and carefully maintained restore strategy worked.

This is different to our "constructed/contrived" image/ISR recovery tests.

Real world snafu: unexpected hosing of critical box after seemingly benign sequence of events in experienced users hands. Damn. !! #%&*#@

Probably never find the cause ( :M$ secret destroy.your.life.trojan :shifty: ) or be able to replicate.

However previously tested restore strategy has worked.
    Not first time, had to go to "second layer" restore plan and use previously designed built in redundancy. :D

Worked.
    Notwithstanding: grey hairs, sudden chest pain, flood of bad language and strong desire to throw box out of window, kill Bill (heh), and promises to God to never do what ever it was again. ;)

WORKED. !!

Dear Peter, thankyou for running this unitentional expert stress test.:eek:
    Sorry for your pain, but glad you have reported what happened and eventual way out.
    Thanks.:thumb:

5. Peter2150

Hi Longboard

ROFL. THanks,

You know one of the good things, is this is the first time I stressed the FDISR backup strategy. The good restore was a basic and out of date system, with no snapshots. The FDISR archive was current. FDISR worked exactly as planned creating a 2nd and up to date snapshot. That that converted the out of date basic snapshot right up to current. All that then was needed was a good defrag.

While I care not to repeat this episode, it is nice to know the redundant back approach payed off.

Pete

6. twhk000

Hi all

Hats off for the courage of Pete and timely reporting what happened....for me i have fingers crossed though...

A. As i repeat dear that you can safely exclude the possiblity that what happened to you was due to MBR....your test proves that though..

B.. The actual cause of the problem..still to be discovered however on the whole Peter has demonstrated for anyone who is on Wilders as to how to backup and restore and fix your problems without much alarm..and praise has to be for Peter for that... and i m deeply grateful to him.

C...Its time for the Moderators to close this thread as...(whats your opnion folks)

Knight

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

My opinion is there is no reason to "close" the thread. Any idea that it should be closed, in my opinion -- since it was solicited, can only be based on a gross misconstrual of what passed herein.

All are capable of reporting this thread to any moderator or admin to let your opinion be known by simply clicking the "!" at the top right corner of any offending post or by PMing them.

8. twhk000

9. Peter2150

Hi Knight

Very few threads are closed unless the mods feel it's time to put a stop to something. I am sure if the mods felt that way, they would have already let us know. Quite often threads wander, unless there is a problem, often the mods just let it develop.

I know you feel that the mbr can't be involved, but in all honestly the only explanation that has made any sense was Wilbertnl's. Note he didn't say the MBR was the problem, but simply that it might have stuck pointing to a no longer valid copy of $isrbin that just happen to reside on the disk.

I may call Raxco this week and see if they have any idea's.

Also someone else may want to come along and comment on the thread.

Pete

10. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Building on what Pete said: you may "close" it by simply not posting any more. If you want it "locked" for some reason, contact someone who has the privilege to do so and convince them to lock it.

11. Dina

Dina Registered Member

lol guys, it has gone offtopic thats for sure.

but i dont mind. its a healthy discussion. (might be helpful for future users too, or those who want to try to give fd a try.)

thanks all. and to mr knight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.