How to use TC's OS encryption on a device without a keyboard ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DavidXanatos, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

How to use TC's Bootloader on a device without a keyboard?

How to use TC's OS encryption on a device without a keyboard ?
    The UMPC has only a Mouse stick, and a touchscrean, no keyboard.

Is there a way to het an On screan keyboard during the boot phase?
    Maby using some smal linux partitiono_O??

Its realy important to me to be able to use ENcryptiona nd dont have to bring always a normal keyboard with me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi David,

What is TC's OS? Never heard of it, and can't find a reference to it on the Internet let alone in any comparison of OSes on Wikipedia.

-- Tom

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

os encryption allows you to encrypt your windows instalation it is also called whole disk encryptin

4. lotuseclat79

You need the on-screen virtual keyboard provided in the Touch Pack Interface (such as DialKeys). Also, if the device has standard USB 2.0 connectivity, external keyboards and mice can be attached.

See: Ultra-Mobile PC

-- Tom

5. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

A on-screen virtual keyboard will not be available befoure windows boots, so for Operating system encryption this wont help.

6. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

This seems to be the sticking point that will eventually make truecrypt obsolete. Reminds me of the way Microsoft used DOS to load windows98.

I am also interested in the possibility of booting LINUX to accept a password which is then used to start the TC boot loader. (remote reboot of encrypted OS for example)
    Can someone comment of the technical details that would be required for this to work?

7. lotuseclat79

Is it not possible to either boot into Safe Mode and then bring up the virtual keyboard? If that is possible would it not solve the problem?

-- Tom

8. katio

katio Guest

The only thing besides a hardware dongle (usb stick) that stores the password the only thing I can come up is using one of the instant on Linux which can boot Windows in the background from within Linux.
    I think the code is proprietary so hardware compatibility is likely an issue.

No, the password is asked before the OS is even loaded. You do know how FDE works? Everything is encrypted, there's no safemode to boot into without first supplying the password.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.