How to use Polipo and Privoxy together?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mant, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mant

mant Registered Member

Some website talk about how using Privoxy and Polipo together, but sounds poor explanation and annoying o_O :

* point your web browser at Privoxy localhost:8118;
    * point Privoxy at Polipo (put forward / localhost:8123 in the Privoxy config file);
    * use no parent proxy in Polipo.

-end of explanation-

1. How to point my web browser at Privoxy!
    When I run Vidalia Bundle (Polipo included) and then run Privoxy, says "Fatal error: can't bind to 127.0.0.1:8118. There may be another Privoxy or some other porxy running on port 8118"!

2. How to point Privoxy at Polipo! And where to put forward / localhost:8123! Main config? Default config? User? Filter?
    When I put forward / localhost:8123 to Main config, Privoxy log says "Wrong number of parameters for forward directive in configuration file"!

3. How to use no parent proxy in Polipo!

Sombode plaese explain more (like Paranoid2000's guides that always clear and works :thumb: )

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi mant,

You should visit the polipo website and download the polipo PDF manual (30 pages).

The /etc/polipo/config file contains the lines:
    # Uncomment this if you want to use a parent proxy:
    # parentProxy = "squid.example.org:3128"
    # Uncomment this if you want to use a parent SOCKS proxy:
    # socksParentProxy = "localhost:9050"

So, if you want to be sure to NOT use a parent proxy in polipo, just do not uncomment those lines and/or make sure they are NOT uncommented (if you copy your config file from somewhere else).

As for pointing your web browser at privoxy, you have to go into your browser's preferences/network settings and install the port number for the particular proxy (e.g. http or socks) that provoxy will be listening to. That will tell the browser which proxy port to use.

When you point privoxy at polipo you have to know the port number that polipo listens to, and put that port number in your privoxy configuration file (as mentioned in your post).

I don't particularly recommend using privoxy and polipo together as privoxy's use impllies a filtering lag while polipo has the feature of pipelining to speed things up.

I haven't used vidalia yet, but have downloaded it. I mainly use Tork which is very good, but I also use a Linux OS and no longer bother with Windows (who needs a Swiss cheese OS (security-wise) that you have to pay for, and then pay for security tools?).

-- Tom

3. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Now where's the fun in that... ;-)

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

What are you trying to acomplish using 2 cascaded proxies ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.