How to Update ClamTK

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TerryWood, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I am learning Linux via Linux Mint 64bit on an HP Pavilion Slimline 64bit PC.

I have installed ClamAV and ClamTK from the Synaptic package Manager, but the ClamTK interface shows the virus engine to be out of date and by research there is a newer version of ClamTK (the GUI) available.

Questions

1) How do I update the virus engine?

2) I downloaded the latest version of ClamTK in Tar.gz format and extracted it to my desktop. How do I install it over the current version?

Remember I am a novice and need handholding.

ps this is not about whether Mint needs an antivirus or not, its about me learning how to use the Linux interface from people more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks

Terry

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

1) Try the Help menu.
    2) Have a look here

PS. BitDefender is better and much faster.

3. TerryWood

Hi Ocky

Thanks for your reply

1) Tried the help menu in Clamtk a) it updated the virus definitions b) it told me what I already know. (That there is a newer version of GUI) Crucially it does not update the GUI

2) a) installed build-essential package from synaptics package manager

b) Extracted source package contents to Desktop

c) followed all your instructions (I believe)

d) No Joy

e) Screenshot attached

Any further help welcome

Thanks
    Terry

Attached Files:

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

5. mack_guy911

for updating clam av

you need

[TerryWood@localhost ~]$

[TerryWood@localhost ~]$ cd /

then you get

[TerryWood@localhost /]$

then

[TerryWood@localhost /]$ cd/etc/clamav

[TerryWood@localhost clamav] $ sudo freshclam

to scan

same till

[TerryWood@localhost clamav] $ clam -r

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV

i am taking your user name as terry woods here in example

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. TerryWood

Hi Mack Guy

No thats not what I want I want to update the GUI which I understand is clamtk. The one I have installed is out of date, there is a new version

Terry

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yeah, sorry, I haven't used clamav for a while and the way I told you for clamtk gui is obvoiusly totally wrong. in the Readme file there are some instructions but only for rpm installs. I think just be done with it and install the deb for clamtk. Double click it and it will install after asking for p/word.
    BTW the gui is unimportant - you will still get the latest defs.

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Terry,

No matter which Linux distro you choose, you will always discover advantages and disadvantages. In general you follow the releases of the distro, unless you would like to improve your system administration skills (which I gather from another of your posts is not your intention?)

It seems that Linux Mint Debian Edition has clamtk 4.31.1:

Screenshot-Synaptic Package Manager .png

9. mack_guy911

1st there are always new version on sites than of package managers (eg Synaptic package Manager)

when they update their pakage manager you get the update one no need to jump

2nd its all about virus defecation that matter its same on all so if your clam av

4.31.1: and on site its 4.XXX they both work same no need to go for outer version until you have a issue/bug ....etc

packages given inside repositories are not always latest but stable + no security issue so ........if there is any security issue or bug they update it soon as soon they find new stable version or they feel need to update it in repository

linux is not windows

we dont use clam av

most of use use bit defender to scan our pen drives windows drives .......etc

10. TerryWood

Hi Wilbertnl

Thanks for your comments.

Please see the screenshot of my Synaptics Package manager from which you will see that the version on my system is 4.26-1. not the latest version.

I downloaded Linux mint 10 64 bit Julia within the last week.

So as i have been saying I need to find out how to update Clamtk.

On the other point you make, its not that I am unwilling to learn since I want an alternative to Windows, nor is it that I am stupid. I simply do not want to have to jump through hoops in the way that I am having to.

Despite the number of people telling me to stick at it I find Linux difficult. I want to be a user not a technogeek.

So far I can see no operational advantages over Windows since to achieve the same end in Linux as opposed to Windows is a route march. I think I said elsewhere that Linux has a beautiful front end masking an enormous dependency on what amounts to command line interface relative to Windows.

It is clear to me that Linux has a long way to go to achieve the same level of functional simplicity.

Finally, supposing it is just me and my incompatibility with Linux and all you guys are right, where is the take up of Linux relative to Windows. Linux is free Windows is expensive so there is every reason to change, and exactly the reason I am trying Linux. Now I am beginning to understand the answer to my own question.

Regards

Terry

Attached Files:

11. mack_guy911

ok how you get update wait i give you screen shots

no you are not stupid what you are getting is absolute right and interesting thing happening here

my apologies as i dont use clamav here

now what's happing here is you have linux mint gnome (default version)

and when you click on update and it dont update it say there new version and you click on update nothing happen

your frustration is right

not in wilbertnl case he has linux mint debian verson which got update to ClamTK latest vestion as it linux mint but different platform

means Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates form debian repositories

where your one takes updates from mint and ubuntu made repositories (data base)

so there will be always difference between them on few pakages

like for example your gnome is 2.32 where as in LMDE its 2.30

as per your question there something wrong here and its not your fault

i dont use clamtk but so far i see is it not update in gui mode which is very frustrating for you as being window user

please wait i try to find out simple as simple way as i can give me a day to find easy way

Attached Files:

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Terry, why not simply download and install the .deb file from the developers site ? It's the latest version. http://clamtk.sourceforge.net/

(The Debian/Ubuntu package - same for Mint)

13. mack_guy911

14. wilbertnl

Terry, you installed Linux Mint Julia, which is a friendlier derivate of Ubuntu 10.10.
    (Cite: Linux Mint 10 features the following upstream components: Ubuntu 10.10)

Ubuntu 10.10 offers clamtk-4.27.1 as their latest version according to their packages collection.
    If you execute a regular system update, this would be what you get installed.
    If you decide to install your own version 4.3x, that would also be unknown to your system package manager and whenever Ubuntu decides to update to 4.27.2, your own version will get overwritten by the official version.

I have a question for you, Terry, assuming that scanning with the latest virus signatures works well on your system, why is this newer front end so urgent for you?

15. TerryWood

Hi wilbertnl

thanks for your reply.

Two answers to your question.

1) In Windows (yes Windows) I have always been advised to keep everything updated. (It has become a mantra) so I am applying what I have done for long enough.

2) This point is the most important. If I were to accept your point of "if it aint broke dont fix it then I will or would not have learned how to do something. If I am to crack Linux I need a few successes like learning how to install software.

Regards

Terry

16. wilbertnl

The way I understand it is that this advice applies to SECURITY updates, Commercial software providers might want to convince you to buy their newer release, though. Your Linux Mint Julia is probably up to date concerning security issues.

Terry, I have learned most from making mistakes and errors and fixing them myself, more than from my successes.
    I hope that you get my point: don't fear, it won't be without obstacles but it could be very enriching to give yourself permission to take a wrong turn once in a while. As long as you are sure that you won't lose important data.

- Edit:
    Terry, allow me to ask you more questions, please:
    As a Windows user, how often did you get warnings that your system has been compromised by malware (other than by rogue security software)?
    And assuming that as a linux user your computer behavior won't change much, do you think that you are at a higher risk for malware with linux?

17. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You do not need anti-virus in Linux.

You only need to enable your firewall. If you need to pass along messages to a Windows machine then you may need to scan for a malware threat.

In Unix based systems you have to learn to do things differently when you come from Windows.

18. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Terry stated "I want to learn how to do xyz!"
    People post "Why would you want to do that? This isn't windows!"
    Some poster confirmed Terry's issue.
    Terry repeats "I'm learning!"
    Additional people post, "Windows isn't linux, firewall is all you need dude."
    Terry grabs mask to the Nitrous Oxide.

Getting help in the Unix section is like going to the dentist, only masochistic people (Arthur Denton) look forward to it.

Edit:
    Poster's plight I
    Reitterated request III
    Helping posts IIII IIII
    Non-Helping posts III
    Not reading OP's issue I
    Injecting unimportant possibly funny observation I

Looks like Ocky and Mac_guy are keeping the helping posts count as the leader.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  19. TerryWood

Hi

For the benefit of everyone, I did eventually get my ClamTK updated as well as ClamAV, mainly thanks to Ocky & Mac_Guy plus some more reading on my part. I now have the absolute latest versions, no more red out of date messages for engine & GUI.

I am not sure I could repeat the process and I had to jump through hoops to get there. A success and I feel satisfied.

I do agree with the comments of "Searching" and I have not found it a particularly edifying experience trying to get help. It is clear to me that there are some who have forgotten what it is like to really want help because of total lack of knowledge.

I have not changed my view about Linux, indeed it has been reinforced. That is, in the current Linux incarnation (all variants) for many it will be a no go area relative to Windows. In this instance you get what you pay for.

The developers have concentrated on what they want to achieve by beautifying the desktop without improving ease of use.

Unless this changes, and until the resources of a number of distros are combined and focus is applied there will be no serious challenge to Windows.

Terry

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

21. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I recommend you uninstall both of them. They are a waste of space and resources. They accomplish nothing and will not help one iota with the security of your Linux box.

Linux is not Windows. We don't need or use AV here.

22. wilbertnl

Terry, you can't have both free and easy, you can only pick one of these.

I certainly do remember how I got familiar with Linux and from my experience I want to tell you that you need to be willing to go through many many hoops and spend lots of time developing understanding and skills.
    You won't get that from two questions on a forum. Look in the bookstore and gasp about the amount of books about Linux.
    Linux may be free of a financial burden, but it's not free of effort and time.

Getting a drivers permit doesn't make any student a confident driver, it still takes practice and starting with setting conditions like "No highway and no parallel parking" won't make it easier for you to pass the drivers test.

Don't blame anyone for Linux being different than Windows.
    And you are very right with your statement that Linux is not a serious challenge for Windows.
    This fact only bothers anti-Microsoft fanatics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.