How to uninstall Email Protection and Web Protection?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mant, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mant

mant Registered Member

And how to close EKRN Port? I don't need that protection and want to close the open port. o_O

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You can't "uninstall" those modules as they are incorporated. But you can Disable them if you want.

Though I need to ask why do you want to disable the Web-access protection?
    It is an essential part of the protection.

As for the (Email) Antispam module it's not available in NOD32, Only in the Suite - ESET Smart Security.

3. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

You can turn off integration of Internet Application Protocols and then disable (i dont remember if that Email module could be deintegrated from the system) the Email Scanner

Note that this actions are not recommended, by security reasons !

4. mant

mant Registered Member

Because I don't need that protection and want to close the open port.
    Because I use webmail not email client
    Because it affect internet and browsing performance
    Because it open some port increasing security risks
    Because it takes more memory and HDD space
    Because I think ESET logo is very suspicious
    Because the logo become orange not green anymore
    Because I want buy antivirus not bloatspyware

Why ESET force us installing the unneeded components and open some port? o_O

http://www.uploadgeek.com/image-13F7_4E0D60C5.jpg

There is email client protection.

5. mant

mant Registered Member

The thread title is how to uninstall not how to turn off (disable).

I would recommend ESET to close the port and give user rights to install what they need.

6. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

You're working with a lot of flawed assumptions and blatantly incorrect information here. As it turns out, the Eset guys really do know what they are doing and unless you are experiencing an actual issue it is strongly recommended you stick with the default settings.

Running the HTTP scanning module does not "open a port" that makes your system more insecure. Period. Show me a netstat -a -b with the ekrn service listening for unsolicited traffic. And then let me know why you don't have a NAT boundary or firewall in front of your system so that kind of thing would be reachable in the first place. It integrates in to the network stack and intercepts HTTP traffic for scanning before it is passed up to the application. It is theoretically possible that there could be a vulnerability in that scanning code, but scanning modules are automatically updated with definition updates and it would not last for long. As for disk usage, the application files use 60mb. I'm sorry, this isn't 1995. If that kind of disk usage is a problem for you then your system needs to be in the trash heap.

As for HTTP scanning performance, the overhead incurred is entirely CPU bound. But to put this in perspective, my computer has had almost 4000 minutes of CPU uptime since my last reboot, and of them 25.5 minutes (this is real-time scanning and HTTP scanning combined, mind you) were consumed by the AV software. That's .6% of my CPU resources. When you're talking about internet traffic that has traffic turnaround in the millisecond range, this scanning is incurring microseconds of delay and adds zero user-detectable impact unless something is misbehaving.

As for memory, we're talking 60-70mb tops. If you disable the HTTP and email integration you might be able to slim that up by a few megabytes but even on 2gb system that's 3% of your physical memory being dedicated to something as important as anti-virus scanning. Who cares?

The logo turning orange is telling you that you have patches pending, which are JUST as critical to preventing infections than the anti-virus software itself. If you don't like it or are just using the security center to monitor things, then turn it off in the settings. They're right there.

If you think the logo of all things is suspicious or the product is "bloatspyware" then buddy, what the heck are you doing buying a product from that company in the first place?

7. mant

mant Registered Member

I also found some major fail:

There is no update database without internet
    There is no option to disable Auto Update
    There is no Exit

Nowadays most top antivirus are become strange.
    And I see something "evil" from NOD32 eye logo.

Is antivirus are spyware? o_O

8. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

i answered to you, but you are still saying the mentioned steps dont help you even when you are not applying such steps!
    So, if you are ignoring me, i cannot be of help to you

in addition, all your questions are already answered in the help file and KB

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I'm sorry but you feel kind of strange to me as well! ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Me too. And afaik it does support some of the more popular webmail services.
    Is that your experience, or only what you think?
    Like when it downloads Sig database updates, or else?
    Not true, according to ESET the resource usage is the same even if the mail module is enabled or not.
    LOL. May I ask why? I think it's very nice and attractive :)
    I'm sure that's because you disable almost everything in the product.
    You don't want protection against Spyware threats, only Viruses?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.