How to turn off a laptop monitor?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by raakii, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Is there any software way of turning of a laptop monitor.I dont have any button for doing that as in desktop.I have used softwares like nircmd and gizmo(creates a black screen instead of turning off monitor) to create shortcuts for turning of a laptop monitor.None of them are workingo_O

2. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

What about Power Management options ? Set the [ Turn off monitor ] @ 1 min.

Also see this tool : here.. and this..
    and this.. [ nircmd.exe monitor off ]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Depending on the lap top make\model. Most have a "FN" = function key. It is usually in blue. You will also find some other keys with a normal white character as well as a blue symbol on them. You may find in the documentation that came with the lap top or the information from the lap top OEM website that you can turn off the monitor my using the FN key in combination with on of the other blue keys.

If not, as mentioned by Az7, the power management settings is a good way to go. Set it and forget it. No third party software required.

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Turnoff lcd and nircmd are not working.Monoff works occasionally.My laptop model is nx5000.OS is windows XP.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  5. ThunderZ

Here is all the support information available.

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Combination of fn + f4 seems to turn off the monitor and again turns it on in a flash.Its clearly unstable.Apart from this no other combinations work.As of nircmd ,gizmo,monoff sometimes all them work,but sometimes they dont work at all.

7. ThunderZ

Since the third party software does not work have you uninstalled it?

It may be interfering with normal operation of either the normal Windows power management and maybe even the FN combo.

There are drivers required for normal function of the Windows power management. Does Device manager show any problems?

Have you tweaked any of the services?

8. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I use this http://techblissonline.com/laptop-display-battery-turn-off/ for my dell xps m1530 running 32-bit vista. It works great. I am sure it will work for xp too but I have not tried it.

I have also setup my power options to turn off my laptop monitor when not in use for 10 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.