How to Tell if a USB Drive has Failed?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yesterday I had a USB drive that I made into a Chakra Live USB with LinuxLive. It worked fine. Today however I formatted it and went to put Linux Mint KDE 64-bit on it with YUMI. However, it was copying files over at under 1KB/sec!

I cancelled, formatted, and tried in a different USB port, with the same results. I also tried it with a new iso from a different mirror, in case the iso was damaged. Still the same results.

Is this incredibly slow copy speed evidence that the drive has failed? How do you tell if a flash drive has failed?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Try it in a different pc. No big deal anyways. You can get a 4GB USB drive for $5. A 16GB for $10.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I got a PNY 8 GB for $7.00 there cheap enough to buy a few of them.

5. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I tried the Check Flash utility, and a pass found no problems. It's average write speed was between 2-4MB, which while slow compared to newer drives, is normal compared to the Bytes it was doing.

Maybe it is just having a problem with YUMI/Unetbootin?

6. Aventador

Stop trying to diagnois it. Throw it out and get another one. :rolleyes:

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Corrupted files, 0 byte files are one of the couple things i've seen on dying USB's. :D

8. Aventador

I actually replace my USB drives about every year. They get a lot of use. I have 2 16GB drives which contain everything I need for a house call.

9. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

I don't know a solution and maybe it is failing but I just thought I would mention that I have a similar problem sometimes. E.g. I have a 8gb Kingston USB and the other day I went to transfer a 300mb file and it went very slowly can't remember the exact speed but it took 12 mins when it usually takes about 30 sec. After i reformatted using Gparted it was back to normal. This issue appears so infrequently I haven't been able to track down the cause.

A couple of ideas/questions I thought up that I haven't been able to confirm are:
    1) Does this happen after I've formatted the drive on Windows using NTFS?
    2) Does this happen after I've created a live USB using Unetbootin/Universal USB installer?
    3) Does this only happen on Linux? (I use Windows infrequently so I can't answer this)

It would help if you could answer any of these, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.