How to stream and record media in VLC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a short tutorial explaining how to stream online audio and video media, transcode media formats, enable advanced controls, and record current playback in VideoLAN (VLC), a free, cross-platform media player.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/vlc-streaming.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Nice tutorial on this awesome utility.:thumb:

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You are a champion. :thumb:

Could have saved me a lot of time today trying to figure how to do this with another program, but hey, better late than never. :)

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Nice, thanks. :thumb:

VLC's my default for all media except DVD videos -- I like PowerDVD for the latter since I like its interface plus it has some handy (and in a couple of cases, unusual) options, like dialogue-looping.

I first got into VLC because I'd previously used Winamp, and found the free version couldn't handle MP4s, and VLC was recommended to me either here or over at the avast forums. The one downside of VLC is that in default setup it can't read or play MID ... it takes a fair bit of playing around with downloading extra drivers and making the proper setup changes, but I did get excellent help with that too. Too bad it seems to be considered a more or less obsolete format these days ... in the hands of a good experienced arranger with a good sequencer, marvelous orchestral-quality works can be produced with a tiny fraction of the file size of equivalent MP3s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.