How to stop prompts for installing Flash ActiveX ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

System: Windows XP Home Edition SP2 IE 7 (customized settings)

I haven't liked the Flash Player for a long time. A new version is available to 'patch' vulnerabilities. I decided to give it a try, only to find that there was more to this new version, like a download manager.

So I uninstalled Flash. I can't say I miss it.

Unfortunately, on many websites I'm prompted to install the Flash ActiveX.

Does anyone know of a way to bypass that, with my current browser ? It's annoying.

Note: I discovered a setting in IE 7 for 'enable browser extensions for third parties' (translation into English, NON- English OS and browser) but I'm not sure if disabling that would do the trick and I don't know what other consequences there would be.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

3. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

roddy32's post has the direct download for IE flash and a link to the uninstaller KB for previous versions. I think you could just install over previous versions though. The Adobe DLM deletes itself after reboot. In the past the DLM has a vulnerability but that was patched already.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1587626

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks, but that does not directly answer my question.

It seems I don't need Flash.

I've had it with Adobe. Always new vulnerabilities, requiring new updates, and trying to avoid installing toolbars, download managers, things being added to the startup list etc., not to mention the privacy issue.

I have a neutered version of the Acrobat Reader version 8, and don't need anything else. It would just be nice not to see that ActiveX Flash prompt on certain webpages.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Having visited a number of websites, it's getting very annoying to see all those Flash ActiveX pop-ups/prompts.

I'm 'tempted' to reinstall a Flash version, perhaps even the 'old' unpatched version (I have an image), to get rid of that annoying spam. :mad:

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

This is old but give it a try. http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/838.htm

Perhaps try one at a time to get the desired results. Not sure if you need to restart the browser or not as I don't use IE. You can also go to the Control Panel - Internet Options to change the settings.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks, but that MAY mean I can't use any ActiveX (IE 7). Not download it anyway, I'm not sure how that will affect already installed ActiveX's.

8. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Fly, following Son_House's advise on the link given by innerpeace might give you your desired result. However, take note that ActiveX is needed by some site/services like Microsoft Update, Online Scanners.

What software doesn't have any vulnerabilities, requires updates? As I pointed out in my previous post, you can download the Flash ActiveX installer without the need to go to the Adobe site offering toolbars, security scans, etc. And Flash doesn't add anything in startup and the Adobe DLM deletes itself after reboot. If you are too concerned about privacy why surf on the Internet in the first place?

EDIT: Try this. IE will not prompt you for new ActiveX but will allow you to run already installed ones.

Download signed ActiveX controls
    Tick Disable

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
    Tick Enable

To disable the Information Bar (nagging you about your security setting) check this site,

http://www.psychpage.com/tech/damnbar.html

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Disabling downloading signed ActiveX controls ? I'm not sure of the consequences of that. What if, for example, MS updates needs a new ActiveX ?

Interesting, but I don't like to mess with the registry, and I'm just not sure how it would effect my setup.

Thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.