how to stop ewido from killing all my cookies

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Jay_Hoosifat, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay_Hoosifat

Jay_Hoosifat Registered Member

ewido seems to work great, too great at times. for some sites (the ones i have to log into) i want to keep my cookies, to be able to be automatically logged in next time i visit. i check off "log me in automatically" on said sites, but it never works if ewido is running. if i shut down ewido and then log in on a site with "auto login" checked, i can log in automatically next time, as long as ewido is still shut down. i cant seem to find any sort of settings within ewido to allow certain sites, so im wondering what the workaround is for this issue.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx
    Dan

PS. great program, otherwise

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I think you can modify the parameters in the configuration.

Just untick the " Scan for tracer cookie".:)

3. Jay_Hoosifat

Thx for the advice. I tried it and it seemed to be working, for about 5 minutes. and i'm thinkin that was dumb luck. at this time, the only way to consistantly allow those kinds of cookies (or any kind for all i know) to stay on my system and function as their meant to is to shut down ewido. can anyone else think of a way to fix this? there must be a way!

4. steveke

steveke Registered Member

Jay-I think there is something else going on in your situation.

I have Ewido and it has never blocked cookies of any kind. I have been able to log in automatically at every site that I could before I had Ewido. When I saw your thread, I went to look at the Ewido online support and found the following:

"Why do I still get malware on my computer when I have the guard activated?

To be compatible with all other security programs and due to performance reasons, the guard of ewido anti-malware scans starting applications only. If a malicious program gets on your computer but never manages to start, it won't get detected by the guard. Also, at this time, the so called Tracking-Cookies are not blocked automatically by the guard. However, we plan to introduce these features in upcoming versions."

http://www.ewido.net/en/support/?AID=17

As far as I know, unticking the scan for cookies only applies to the scan, not the realtime protection.

I do see in your posts that turning off Ewido allows the cookies-

I am certainly not a computer expert-and I cannot explain that-but I am almost certain that Ewido is not directly doing it-

I just thought you should know this info-

5. Jay_Hoosifat

Thanks for the help, that takes it to a whole new level. A not un-annoying level. Well if it is a software conflict issue, maybe someone might have an idea what is causing this. The active security programs I use are:
    Outpost Firewall
    Ewido
    AVG Antivirus (guard active)
    Avira Antivir (guard inactive)
    WinPatrol
    Online Armor

I just started using Online Armor a few days ago. It hasn't effected the problem one way or the other. Also I use Spybot: S&D, Lavasoft AdAware, and Blacklight rootkit, but these are only active when I open them and run a scan.

6. steveke

I was wondering what browser you use-people have reported problems with Ewido still scanning for cookies in Firefox, even though they have unchecked the scan for cookies box. This was supposed to have been recently fixed.

I know its dif from your situation-but-I have winpatrol, spybot and adaware and no conflicts-and your antivir and firewall are listed as compatible-combine that with your turning Ewido off and no prob -and it pretty much has to be something in Ewido-

re: "not un-annoying level"-I was thinking of that as I was typing the previous response-I couldn't figure out how to close-cause I knew it was making it seem unsolvable-

Anyhow-good luck

7. Jay_Hoosifat

yeah, i meant to post my browser in there too. i'm using firefox, so that may explain my situation. im not sure what to do about that, but maybe i'll use IE for a while and see if it has the same issue or not.

Thx for all the help steve

8. imrayly

imrayly Registered Member

i only use it to scan my pc once a week.
    i do not like it running all the time

9. Jay_Hoosifat

Yea its definatley a Firefox/ewido related issue; IE works fine. I think I might try what imrayly is suggesting and not have ewido running all the time. At least until an update fixes the problem.

10. steveke

I am not sure if Ewido knows about your type of problem-yours was the first I saw here. You should let Ewido support know-it seems a waste not to be able to use the guard.

According to this thread the "bug' where Ewido was tracking firefox cookies, even though the scan for cookies box was unchecked, has been fixed:

http://ww.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=122995

Ewido has responded very quickly when I wrote them-they had the FP of my dialup removed within a couple of days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.