How to stop B&R from updating Windows boot menus

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by otlaolap, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otlaolap

otlaolap Registered Member

I've got B&R 2012 Free, and it works nicely. I can back up and restore single partitions, or entire volumes. But I wish I could find out how to stop B&R from fiddling with Windows' boot menu when it does restores.

On my disk, I have 4 primary partitions. The first is a tiny DOS partition in which I have Grub-4-Dos, and it in fact is the boot partition. The second and third contain independent copies of Windows; neither knows about the other, and when they are booted (by Grub) there is no Windows boot menu shown -- the system goes right to the Windows loading animation. The fourth primary is an exteded partition with a bunch of data disks.

When Paragon restores a single one of these Windows partitions, it finishes up by "looking for windows on all partitons", and then builds Windows boot menus showing all of the available Windows partions. So, afterwards, when Grub boot a windows partion, I am then shown Windows' own boot menu (pick a version to load). This is true for both of the Windows partitions, whether it is the one I restored it or not. So I then have to go into each of the Windows, make it active, and then manipulate its boot menu away again.

Can Paragon be stopped from doing this? It is an annoyance (but at least it is accurate).

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Perhaps the option is only in the more advanced versions

skipbcd.jpg

3. otlaolap

otlaolap Registered Member

Thanks -- several of those options are missing in the free version (including the one that does what I was wondering about), so I never knew they existed. Will have to consider my options. Thanks again for you help in these forums.

4. routerguy99

routerguy99 Registered Member

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I have done a huge number of restores with paragon. Always successful.

Never had any bcd corruption.

I think there is something else going on there.

6. routerguy99

routerguy99 Registered Member

looks like I might have to buy the suite and test it out..
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.