How to Speed Up My Weekly On Demand Scan?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by johnmw1, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmw1

johnmw1 Registered Member

Hi,

I have a problem with my weekly on demand scan taking longer and longer in time to complete. It's only an 80 Gig c drive with about 150,000 files scanned on the last run.

My scan has always taken about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to complete, but in the last few months it has started to get progressively longer for as far as I know no know reason or changes to settings or anything.

In searching here in this forum I discovered that there has been an update from V3 to V4 which I was totally unaware of, so I have now changed to V4.

I have always used Blackspears settings and even though there is no tutorial for V4, I have more or less followed those same settings for V3 and used them also in V4. There maybe a few different things in layout etc compared to V3 but for all that I can see it looks fairly similar?

My current weekly scan is running at the moment and has been stuck on 22%for the last 3hrs. It seems to get held up at this point each scan which at the moment is "Documents & Settings\End User\Application Data\Thunderbird\etc etc"

I have been into the setup of my scan and unchecked both Thunderbird and Eudora but for whatever reason they are both still being scanned. Considering how much old mail I'm storing with in and outs and trash etc perhaps I should just delete these old programmes, it's not as if I go into them very often, but I did have to go into Thunderbird the other day to retrieve my Eset product key etc

Any suggestions anyone please :doubt:

Cheers
    John

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

With support for new packers/installers being added, it may take longer to scan the entire drives as these compressed files can now be extracted and scanned. You may want to set size limits for archives or try completely disabling archives and sfx archives (not recommended) and rely on the real-time protection that it will detect and block potential malware upon extraction.

3. johnmw1

johnmw1 Registered Member

Hi Marcos,
    So are you saying that I should do away with my weekly on demand scan and let the real-time protection just do it's thing? I would be happy to do this if that is what you're saying as the scan just slows down my system oh so much. Sorry for the dumb question, my understanding of these things leaves a lot do be desired. :doubt:

Thanks
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.