How to share my printer with certain PCs in the Lan?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bonedriven, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

There's a printer connected to my computer. I have set it to share with others so my colleagues in the office can use it. But I find the printer begins to print random stuff recently. Because the whole building is in the same Lan, those are from morons in the Lan I think.

My PC in the office runs Windows XP with built-in firewall. I found a security tab in the properties of printers, and there you can add a group or user to share. However I was not able to add names of my colleagues' computers but only user names on my own computer. o_O

It should be a very common issue, but I had no luck in finding a solution with google. :(

Thank you in advance!

2. bonedriven

OK, here's the picture when I try to add a group to allowed list.
    [​IMG]

3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

You could ofcouse probably setup a firewall to block access except for those you want in....

But perhaps you are looking for an explanation like this ? (this is for win 2000 but I think that it is somewhat similar for Win XP) :
    Setting Access Controls on Files, Folders, Shares, and Other System Objects in Windows 2000 .
    (Please scroll 3/4 down the page to where it says "Setting printer security permissions and shares") .
    The XP control access is explained here (it says it goes for printers as well) : "Control access to your files with Windows XP Professional"

4. bonedriven

Thanks Fiat_Lux. When I was reading the link you provide, I find I can set a password to my guest account. So finally I managed to solve the problem by setting a password for the guest account. When someone wants to add my printer, they need to provide the password, since lan users of my printer log on the printer as guest. Once the printer is added, no need to input the password every time you want to use it. :D

5. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Glad to be of assistance :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.