How to setup local account in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Mrk when I set up 8.1 I was offered the choice to sign in with a local account.

I 'think' this may have been because I only had the option at setup to use a us keyboard (I'm in UK) and when I signed in for the Microsoft account I wasn't able (or willing) to do @ sign by using the workaround on keyboard.

Perhaps Microsoft recognised this as it said sign in was wrong and offered me the opportunity to set up with a local account instead.

3. Mrkvonic

Could be. I will also test what happens if there's no network. Perhaps if you don't configure a wireless/wired network, you will be offered to use the local account.
    Mrk

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

this could come very for some people as this is not easy to find.

i tried the cloud account for testing the Mail and Skype apps.

i decided i'd rather stick with Thunderbird and Skype for Desktop and switched to a local account.

though those 2 Metro apps are fine, but better used on mobile devices, which they were designed for.

5. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Win 8.1 preview gave me the local account option because I turned off my router first (no network). Also read about this from other sources, but can't remember where.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Online account isn't mandatory for Windows 8.1, it's mandatory for the Windows 8.1 preview. As a journalist who probably specifically crafts his posts for SEO all the time you should be taking extra steps to make sure such obvious inaccuracies are left out of your posts. But I guess without clickbait like this you wouldn't make your $$$.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-1-Preview-Won-t-Support-Local-User-Accounts-362922.shtml

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. Mrkvonic

I don't care about SEO ...

Quoting single sentences is misleading. You missed:

"At this stage, during the installation, you are forced to configure an online account. I guess it's also partially my fault, because I connected to my Wireless routers beforehand, allowing Windows 8.1 access to the Internet. Maybe if I had not given it any network, it would have allowed me the option to use the local account, too. However, the way my testing of the preview version was going, I had to use a Microsoft online account."

It would have allowed ... my fault ... the way testing ... etc

"Do not worry dear users - you can fix this later on, after you enter your desktop. It's not a pretty thing, but it's doable, and we will have a separate tutorial on this."

"To Microsoft's credit, they at least set the data collection options for your account to off, which means you will have to opt-in to share your localization, usage patterns and other details. Being online also has a benefit of data consistency across devices, if you're into that sort of thing."

And the full quote of what you selected:

"In general, Microsoft did not limit your options, but they did alter the presentation layer to force more of the less knowing users to choose the online options, so they can exercise a greater control over their product and possibly steer you toward revenue. Truth to be told, this is not different in any way from what Google does on Android, and in fact, there, it's even worse, because you cannot use a local account. However, for long-time Microsoft users, this new change is irritating and pointless."

Yes, it's designed to make people use the online stuff.
    No other reason whatsoever.

Mrk

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

All your ranting still ignores the main point, this is only for the preview, which your post & article do not make clear at all.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Newer modems don't need special software to be configured properly - my phone tech installed my new modem by in putting info on his company's page in a few minutes. I was able to change it to protect home network by entering the WPA password myself on Windows.

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

In Windows 7, you had two accounts - an administrator account for the person running the computer and standard - limited account for all other users - makes sense if you don't want the kids to mess around with Windows and remove some critical system or program file.

None of that Microsoft account BS first introduced with Windows 8. Do you really park your personal information in the cloud? There's no need for it unless you really like your online living room! Anyway, for any one insane enough to move up or is that down - to Windows 8, here's how to get rid of Microsoft's insistence the good old local account is your grandfather's account with that expiration date on it and its time to move on.

Not all things need to be changed for our own good just because a corporation thinks its best idea since buttered bread came long! Not really required here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.