how to set outpost firewall rules with router as it connected through LAN

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mack_guy911, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

how to set outpost firewall rules with router as it connected through autodetect LAN in outpost so how to configure security setting for lan port of router ..........and its showing open ports in grc.com
    how to configure them to stealth mode and how to enable netgear wpn834 firewall please need help .....

i am new to router......

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

From Outpost Options->System->LAN Settings->Settings, there should be an ip address under: "Host or subnet address" maybe 192.168.xxx.xxx. Make sure you clear the "NetBIOS" and "Trusted" checkboxes. That should be all there is to it.

As for the open ports, those are probably your router's. Which ports are showing open?

3. mack_guy911

thanks wat0114 i set that what i want to know is its showing some open ports when scan with grc.com
    how can i close them and
    2nd how i set global rule and applactions rules accourding to router as now i am connectiong through router not through direct dial up connection.... what changes need for setting regarding that

4. mack_guy911

what i wanted to know is how to setup nat
    and what is port forwarding, port triggering how to set them on router......

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just some info from you first:

What is the make/model of router you have?

You need to know the ip address that is being scanned. It should be displayed on the GRC scan page. Then, you need to know the ip address that is assigned by your ISP to you router's WAN port. Is your router's ip address the same as the one being scanned? This is the port that should have a patch cable in it connecting to your modem's ethernet port.

As for Outpost's global rules, the defaults work fine, unless you want to have better control over loopback and inbound identification, but clearing those checkboxes will create more work for you in setting up rules under "Rules wizard"

6. mack_guy911

I have a dhcp sever on ......on my beetel modem and my isp give new ip every time to my router port.......

it dont show my internal computer ip which i set on my router but show my dynamic ip given to me by my isp and also show some open port on scan and rest of them stealth

which where stealth before when i connect directly by outpost without router

i have router model netgear rangemax wpn834

i want to know configure it nat setting

my outpost is configure with router lan port but i dont understand how to do lan fliteration as now outpost is connected through lan not wan so it need to do filterations from lan port of the router please make me correct.....

in short of all my blah.....blah......how to set up firewall on this dam (netgear rangemax WPN834)thing......lol

7. mack_guy911

how to set firewall in router

can any one explain what is port forwarding, port triggering how to set firewall by using NAT

for example i have 1 external ip (public ip) of my service provider let say its ip 1 the one ip on ethernet port of my router which is my internal ip(gateway) Ip 2. and third ip is ip of my PC lan card ip3

now on my pc i have software base firewall outpost which is connected with router internal ip (ethernet port) now its connected through lan not wan on netbios

now my ques is that i connect to grc.com from my external ip (ie. ip given by my isp i have dhcp enabled so its keep changes every time i rebooted i setted my router to obtain address automatically)

my modem is setted to bridge with router and pass ip to router it do nothing just obtain dhcp ip and passes it to router external port that ip

its show some open ports now are they open ports of my router and my software base firewall is working well behind is and doing its job....if yes
    then how .........because its connected through LAN not wan directly.....and there is no filtration rules i see in outpost lan port

and my 2nd question is that how to stealth these ports on my router as i dont know what is port forwarding, port triggering please explain with some example

like if i have to connect opera to net on port 80 but making it on stealth mode how i set its ports on router as
    it do not have outbond and inbound like software base firewalls have it has port forwarding, port triggering

which i dont understand .......please help me regarding that

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  9. mack_guy911

Re: how to set firewall in router

its show open ports 80 21 23 and i dont know how to stealth these ports...

i call netgear support center they say there ports are open and cannot be stealth .........

i am using netgear WPN284 rangemax router......please tell me if i need to install so software to block there ports

2nd i am using outpost pro firewall on my pc it show stealth ports before but its not showing now .....

10. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

So Netgear says there are no way to stealth those ports from your router standpoint? Are you also saying that Outpost is now stealthing them once they pass your router?

Thanks,

Chris

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

mack_guy, which one is it??

In the meantime, there is no need to worry about a security weakness. Even with those router ports open, Outpost will stealth your machine. Once you provide the actual router model, I will do some research when time permits and hopefully find a way to stealth them. It should be possible.

12. mack_guy911

my outpost firewall is also not stealthing my ports i close my router firewall still it showing open ports 80,83,21

my model is given below link is given below please tell me what to do how to close these ports i think there must me some way to close them i dont know it.and i belive all those netgear support india based guys also dont know

actually i am looking to buy (RangeMax Wireless Router DG834PN) but since its not available in india
    so i called netgear guys they told me that RangeMax Wireless Routers WPN824 is same as DG834PN but dont have modem so i bought RangeMax Wireless Routers WPN824 model now i see the firewall option is also is given in diffrent way in DG834PN than mine (WPN834)

http://portforward.com/english/routers/firewalling/Netgear/DG834PN/FTPIn.htm

my router options
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WPN824v2/FTP.htm

its has option of firewall in it where in my router (wpn824) it no firewall option there like in 834pn model it has option called Port Forwarding / Port Triggering which i dont know how to configure they say its same like firewall option now they say it is impossible to stealth port 80,21,23

please tell me is it possible to stealth those ports all the other ports showing stealth even i close or open outpost firewall only 80,21,23 ports open

then i close my router firewall and open outpostfirewall its also show same results i wonder why

please this is my router model i given the link below

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways/WPN824.aspx

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Outpost does not leave any ports open by default. Plesae try another port scan, then check OP's "Attack Detection" logs. If you see entries in there, then please post what they are. My feeling is that even though you close your router's firewall, the scan is still hitting your router, regardless of the firewall being closed, and seeing those open ports.

The port forward option could probably stealth the router's open ports. Just follow the instructions provided in the second link and forward those ports to a non-existent ip address on your machine.

If your router is using DHCP to assign ip addresses to your pc(s), see if you can restrict that DHCP range to, for example, 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.10 That way you can forward those three open ports to ip addresses outside of that DHCP range - ip addresses that don't even exist. Doing thios should stealth those ports. Make sure you select the appropriate "Service type" for the ports you need to stealth: TCP for 80, 21 & 23.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  14. mack_guy911

i uninstalled the outpost firewall the do the scan again directly connected to my modem they show same results as above ...then i check about my modem model it says it supports NAT

then i try to see my isp setting on my modem it say NAT is enable and firewall is enable through modem so i guess its all blocking on modem base and the ip is showing is some external ip of modem but through lan the ip i given to my router and the ip which i give to my computer is not showing so i guss what ports they are showing is my external ip ports of NAT modem or my isp

then want i did is install again new outpost firewall and scan again it show same results so what i did is remove my modem remove my router and connect it through different dial up modem to see the results and then it show all ports stealth now what i come to conclusion is that grc.com is showing
    fake results of fake external ip of modem please make me correct

sorry i dont much about routers and natting but i guess this what happning please make me correct is i am safe

my last Question can i connect my netgear wpn834 router with some other router like linsys WRT54GL in future......are they compatible with each other....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  15. mack_guy911

thanks to all
    problem is solved its because of modem the person come to my house to configure told me its on bridge mode but its not its on PPPoE mode with static ip with nat enable and firewall enable of modem that why its showing 3 open ports but when i configure it with bridge mode its start showing all ports in stealth mode......so its confirm that all open ports are of modem based NAT

so if any one else also having port open problem please check their modem if it also has NAT enable on modem which dont close all the ports

it also might not be in bridge mode like mine........

what they need to do is make it in bridge mode like mine and then test their router on grc.com for open ports

even if you are not in bridge mode and having static ip like mine and those ports are open on modem your router and software base firewall are doing thier perfect job behind it

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOU HELP AND KIND SUPPORT
    HAVE A NICE DAY

:D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.