how to set FDISR to freeze

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chris12923, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

It is safe on my system I just can not freeze it and have had to install multiple builds to try to narrow the problem. Rollback is not this threads topic so hopefully we can continue on FDISR.

Thanks,

Chris

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

With your current version of FD-ISR courtesy i presume and originating from HDS now , how do rate it's overall features (less) from your own experience without getting into a comparison with Rx.
    A lot of serious concern is going to continue to be made over features once present in earlier versions of FD-ISR as opposed to those HDS are omitting now. But in absence or not of those particularly useful features, perhaps you would like to offer more of your own best impressions of just how productive you find FD for your own needs given a scenario that no other alternative exists for you ATM.

3. Chris12923

I am using 3.21 build 205 from HDS which has no freeze option. At this time I just use 3 snapshots due to hard drive space and a few archives. I rarely use any features. I just boot into the snapshots and do my work and then back out into another snapshot. I do have to update the snapshots before I start something new. I really can't comment on many other features as I don't use many of them. I hope this answered your question as honestly as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

ROFL, that old chestnut....please Chris, don't lower yourself, you seem like a nice bloke, you totally disagree with the view of many users on this subject and that is fine. You are entitled to your view, and it may even be much more informed that the rest of us, so I say fair enough to that, I wouldn't actually argue that my view is right and yours is wrong, simply that the changes in FD-ISR as I understand them based on the way I use the product are not good.
    That particular phrase has been trotted out through history, and without veering of topic to quote examples, I will simply say, that it depends who is implementing the changes and for what agenda. Change is necessary for progress, but that does not lead to "all changes are good" to see it that way would be very naive.

For that I do thank you, you have given me the heads up to start looking for a viable alternate solution earlier than I would have otherwise.
    I doubt Todd is in the driving seat on this one anymore.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Probably too busy hiring at the moment.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good point. One thing is for sure: the next FirstDefense update/upgrade that comes out ... YOU GUYS INSTALL IT FIRST then let me know. :D

Acadia

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks Chris.

PS. Do you mind sharing the functionality that you are missing.

8. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Possibly, but given FD-ISR's apparent regression, he won't need to hire too many to work on it. :D

9. Chris12923

Sorry for the delay but sure. First is Rollback restores much faster. I test/try new programs so frequently FDISR just takes to much additional time on my system. Not hours but extra minutes that Rollback does not. Also My disc space is limited so Rollback does not use as much so it works good for me in that respect as well.

Thanks,

Chris

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Chris

One thing you can do with FDISR to reduce time is to work with archives instead of snapshots. I only maintain my primary working snapshot, and a secondary snapshot for a place to boot. Everything else is done with archives. Saves a lot of time and c: drive space.

No doubt though that Rollback is still much faster on taking snapshot,restores, and diskspace usage.

It's the imaging that is an issue. Complexity involved.

Other key thing is FDISR archives become part of the solution. I can restore any old image and use FDISR archives to update system.

Finally I am not sure the Rollback family is quite as robust as FDISR. I know 8.1 has solved many issues but let me explain and extreme test I did.

Updated my archive, and then upgraded my system to Vista. Instead of reinstalling XP Image, I converted back to XP by a copy/upgrade from the XP archive to the Vista snapshot. Worked. Comparable test with Rollback would be to take a vista system, and install Rollback. Create new snapshot and install XP in it, if you can. Then collapse back to baseline and end up with XP. What do you think. Could Rollback handle that?

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.